1993 9.9 evinrude 2stroke

Currently having power issues with motor. Replaced ingnition coil, sparkplugs, plug wires also cleaned out carb and tried new fuel. What happens is under load the motor will not get above 5-7mph. I did a compression test both cylinders are at 87. At this point not sure if reeds are bad or where to look. When I hook up to muffs at home you can not tell motor is having power issues everything seems fine. Idle is great does not stall out. Once under load on the water motor will not power up. Any ideas on this problem? I would greatly appreciate it!!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Compression is low. Might try another tester. Measure spark with a tester -- look for sharp 7/16 inch on both. Carb cleaning needs to be thorough to be effective -- soaking and disassembly.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Had similar issues on a 1982 15hp. I did a bunch of tests on the ignition system and replaced coils and plug wires with no luck. Turns out it had a faulty powerpack that was only acting up at high speed and virtually impossible to test. Luckily I had a same year 9.9hp which ran great which I was able to swap the powerpack out with to test.