1982 Evinrude 35 hp stall

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The motor will start and run good at idle but as I throttle up it stalls. Does this sound like a blockage in the carb? The carb seems to only have one ajustement needle and that seems to be a low speed needle. It also speeds up when choked. Suggestions? One other issue is that the key on the control starts the motor but it will not shut it off. I've been choking it out to stop it. Where would I start looking for that problem?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
agree with jimmbo -- think in terms of dual problems. Can try adjusting the l.s. needle a little richer, but sounds like carb cleaning and rebuild is needed.

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay so I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb left it overnight. Adjusted the needle a bit and took it out. It was a lot better. Got it up to around half speed or so, it was a bit jittery speeding up and slowing down. I noticed a fuel leak under the fuel pump and fixed that but it did not make much difference. Looks like I'll have to pull the carb off and clean it up.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think that's right. Take it apart and soak it, followed by some careful poking in all openings and carb spray with the plastic nozzle.