1993 9.9 evinrude lost power at full speed

I was running my 9.9 full speed everything was running well I replaced the ignition coil also 2 new plugs along with the plug wires cleaned the carb and motor was running great. While I was running full speed for 3 mins lost all power. Motor will now only limp above idle. Any ideas on this ? Maybe water got into fuel causing this?

I will try the fuel pump next. The motor idles great but once you put it in water and add resistance can't get faster than that above idle speed.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Don't think reeds are the likeliest culprit. Think a fuel pump diaphragm is more likely, or carb remaining carb issues -- blockage in the h.s. jet, possibly.

Overall condition good? Compression in the 120s or so, and even? Spark measured at about a half inch, and sharp? A video of the motor running might help.

Pull off plug boots one at a time when it's acting up -- note any changes.

Over condition is good. Compression not warmed up lastnight was 87 both cylinders I'll measure spark this evening. Is 87 bad compression?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Over condition is good. Compression not warmed up lastnight was 87 both cylinders I'll measure spark this evening. Is 87 bad compression?

87 is borderline, imo. Again, could be the tester used. But maybe history has some hints -- did the motor overheat, or signs of overheating (scorching, discoloring)?

As of now no scoring or discoloring dosnt seem to run too hot but when I have ran the motor I didn't like to push her to hard.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You were concerned about water in the fuel. Did you resolve that? Permanent tanks are more of an issue, but can take a fuel sample from the bottom of the tank and let it settle out in a glass jar. Fuel will ride on top of any water (may see a layer of water and other contaminants at the bottom).

Oldboat1 I actually cleaned out the tank and put new fuel in. Also I added a inline fuel filter just for the mean time. I figured out no water could get inside other than condensation because during the day the heat expands the fuel and tank and I have to let the pressure out I figure the tank holds pressure it's sealed. Maybe to my problem I'm having could be the fuel pump but It seems like fuel starvation isn't the issue or contaminated fuel..

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like that's resolved, unless inline filter is a restriction.

Yeah not sure might try to run the motor without the inline see what happens but still no idea why I'm not getting power.