2005 Evinrude 115 problems

rpcamyr

Cadet
I just bought a 115 direct injection and so far I am not impressed. I put a new 22 pitch double cupped raker prop. I have no hole shot and cant tell what the top end speed is because the boat bounces around like a basketball at 4500rpms. My previous motor was a 1984 yamaha 115 and had a double cupped 23 pitch prop. The hole shot was good enough and the top end was 60mph at 5700 rpms. Why does a brand new motor not perform anywhere near a 20 year old motor. I didn't change anything else on the boat in between motor change. I would appreciate any advice or tips. Also let me know if more info is needed. Thanks, Ryan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2005 Evinrude 115 problems

Try propping the new engine out properly, Ryan. <br /><br />See the FAQ on prop selection. You may also have a rigging problem.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Lkoschak

Cadet

What kind of boat is it? Brand, Length, weight, hull style, hull material? Is 4500 rpms the best you achieved? Sounds like you got the wrong prop. A Raker is intended for lighter boats that need or like bow lift - like Bass boats. You probably should be using a 21 Viper. <br />Are you really sure of the old speed? - 60 mph is fast for a 115hp engine. Not impossible to hit with a 115hp but the boat must be very light. <br />53 - 55 mph is more like the actual speed.

rpcamyr

Cadet

My boat is a homemade 3/16 aluminum and is 16 foot long with a 4.5 foot bottom. A friend of mine has a 17 foot homemade with a 115 evinrude intruder and gets 64 mph on the gps. My friends down here build their boats to race with each other but I want to gear mine to fish. I have more weight in it with a trolling motor and 2 batteries. The hull is a semi-v. My friend runs a 24 pitch raker and has no trouble with hole shot. I ran a 23 pitch turbo with the old yamaha so I figured a 22 would be fine because I wanted a little better hole shot. Let me know what u think.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What do you mean by "a new double cupped Raker"? Is it a new prop someone reworked?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What's the tach set on? It is a BRP tach, right?

rpcamyr

Cadet

On my yamaha I had a 23 pitch turbo double cupped. It had a hairline crack in it and it was sent back to the factory. They sent me a new one. I traded it for a brand new 22 raker out of the box and had it double cupped. I don't know what you are asking about the tach. I put all new guages with the motor when I bought it. On my yamaha I could trim it all the way out and it would run at 5700rpms. It didn't get on step that great thats why I went to a 22 instead of 23 pitch. I tried a cheap 21 pitch with no cupping and it got out of the hole ok but it bounced like crazy on top end. My buddy said the 22 double cupped should be perfect but the hole shot sucks and it still bounces on top end. First thing we are going to do is recheck the trim tabs and maybe bend them down a little. Then we may raise the motor a little and see what happens.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First Welcome to Iboats Ryan.....<br /><br /><br />Now how high is the motor mounted by this i mean what is the distance in hieght from the bottom of the hull to the anti ventilation plate on the engine ...and do you have a jack plate on this ?<br /><br />it almost sounds like chinewalking ..anyone agree.....

rpcamyr

Cadet

the anti ventilation plate is 3 inches above the bottom of the hull. I have a 6 inch jack plate. What is chinewalking anyway and how do you correct it?

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

was your yami mounted to the jack plate before..?

rpcamyr

Cadet

yes it was mounted on the jackplate. Everything on the boat is the exact same as before I put the evinrude. The dealer said the bouncing has got to be the trim tabs. He said the hole shot will not be as good as a carburator motor so I would probably need a lesser pitch prop. We will check the tabs first and then we will try lifting the motor a little to see if that helps. The evinrude probably weighs about 50 lbs more than the yamaha. Do u think that is enough to cause some of the problems?

rpcamyr

Cadet

sorry it took so long to post. today we were able to lift the motor 1 more notch and it didn't help. we fixed the top end bounce by straightening the trim tabs. the motor turns 6000 on top end but hole shot is horrible. my buddy and his dad think the motor is not putting out like it should on low end. we are going to try a few more props to make sure then i'll bring it back to the shop and have them check the motor again. if they cant find anything we'll put my friends 115 evinrude intruder on my boat and see how it runs. if it runs good then there has to be a problem with my motor. the motor also still has a miss. when you are running you feel it missing the whole time. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks, ryan