How to check the tach.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1998 Evinrude 60hp. On a 22ft Crest 2 pontoon. I have posted here several weeks back and confirmed I am on the correct tach setting. But i either am under propped or the tach is wrong cause I seem to be turning to many rpms. I think the tach is wrong cause iF I remember right it see it sometimes close to 7k. Others it's not that high??? And it does not sound like it's running that rpm. This is with basically 4 adults and a small child on board.

What can I use to check the rpms? Like a volt meter with the clamp on feature? Will a tiny tach work at all, like around one or something else?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
See if you can borrow a tach from a dealer like the one you have and try that. Most dealers will lend one out for the chance of a sale.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
You say.... " I have posted here several weeks back and confirmed I am on the correct tach setting."

What do you have the tachometer set to?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joe here is a pic of the back of the tach.

I can also post a link to the post but with you here and the pic of the tach , it won't really matter at this point. Ha

Attachments

• 2017-05-06 21.26.46.jpg
    2017-05-06 21.26.46.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Find a old Mercury dealer as they had a shop tool called a tach tester...you hooked up tach and tested it a 3000 and 6000 rpm

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you know of someone that has an induction type tach, you can borrow it and clamp on to a spark plug lead and see what it reads. Tiny Tach will work as well and then can be used for other engines also. JMHO

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Joe here is a pic of the back of the tach.

I can also post a link to the post but with you here and the pic of the tach , it won't really matter at this point. Ha

Good Pic.... I can see that the tachometer is set to 6P (pulses) which should be correct. I never saw a tachometer that had so many wires attached though.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you know of someone that has an induction type tach, you can borrow it and clamp on to a spark plug lead and see what it reads. Tiny Tach will work as well and then can be used for other engines also. JMHO

Thanks, that's the info I needed as well as up top where I was linked to the laser tachometer thing for visual.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good Pic.... I can see that the tachometer is set to 6P (pulses) which should be correct. I never saw a tachometer that had so many wires attached though.

I think there all grounds or tapping power??

This thing has questionable wiring under the console. I beleive it all to be dealer done since this is the original motor on this toon!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Find a old Mercury dealer as they had a shop tool called a tach tester...you hooked up tach and tested it a 3000 and 6000 rpm

There is not one around here. And I don't think I will try to find one. The fuel to get there would be more than to just buy one of these laser ones off ebay.

That's a cool piece of info and iF I was able I would try it

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Back in my younger days I built a Heathkit Tach. And of course it was fed off the typical distributor to get its info to convert to the analog reading. And to calibrate it, it used a little circuit that you plugged into the wall outlet and the tach would read a certain RPMs, if I remember correctly. And if it didn't you adjusted the circuit with a tiny screw driver in a pot to set it right on. I also built a photo-optic tach that was calibrated off the ceiling lights being how they flicker at a set frequency as well. So there are ways to calibrate such ting if you do the math. JMHO

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok to build on this problem. We went out yesterday and I watched the tach more. It seems to be an issue the first 10 mins it runs?? Like after startup it was reading 2 or 3000 rpms sitting there in neutral as I started it. Then it settled back down to normal...say around 1000 nothing to really worry about. Then as I was ideling out of no wake it was like reading 4000, then settled back to like 2000 which I beleive to be in the Relm of what I was actually turning. Then I give it gas and it bounced around and back to 4000 to 5000, I don't remember what it was bit I was not wide open. Then pushed the throttle and I was maybe 85 to 90% of my throttle range. Tach was over 5000 maybe 5200?? Then it started increasing without the engine rpm changing. It went to 7000. Engine was no where near that speed. I beleive the 5200ish that it was reading then settled back down too. We rode some more and it read true and parked , swam, and it was I think correct acting on the way back, maybe saw it creep around some a few mins after I restared but I honestly do t remember so it must not of been as erratic.

I have read Joe Reeves methods of testing a rectifier. BUT one method would I guess work if your tach was doing nothing ...the moving the wire method on the terminal block. I guess it could stop the erratic nature of it.

And the other method is to remove the wires from the block and test continuity between wires and should get it one way and not the other. If you get it both ways it's bad. This is obviously testing to see if diodes are blown in it I assume. The question is would it fail these tests but still give a correct tach signal 90% of the time? Or if it failed would it still give the correct tach reading 90% of the time?

What are you experts thoughts on this?

Motor runs flawless and is not hard starting, does not miss, surge or anything random.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I haven't borrowed one yet.

Between work, family, the farm and other projects these hasn't really been time.