1980,s 140 Evinrude outboard tilt problem

Lplp52

Cadet
140 Evinrude ,just bought this boat and had some issues .we had to release the screw to get engine down .tried to put new oring on up north ,did not work as we found out it had that special clip on it .trim would not work at all and was leaking .put it in water and took out once we noticed as did not want to do that to lake ,so we had a week s vacay ,no boat .it is going to a shop this week and just wondering if it is an expensive repair .thanks for the join and tia

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Without knowing more the answer will be "possibly".

Welcome to the forums.

In the future, model numbers, description of issue, and history all will help get the best results for you.

For example, was the leak from the tilt ram or the manual release screw. Was the trim motor running? That type of description.

Lplp52

Cadet
it was from the realease screw,i am picking one up this week ,should be good to go,picked up the special tool to do the clip also.just overturned it too much,

Lplp52

Cadet
Shuttle valve screw .

Tried to upload pic ,and downsized it but still won't upload .hopefully I can explain .I took the shuttle valve screw out ,no pressure on that side at all or very little .the piece inside does not fully close the holes on both sides ,it is spring loaded .and it does not spring back to cover the holes in the screw .
I am thinking this is why it will only go up and not down ,no pressure in the high side .
Also motor sounds different trying to go down .
140 Evinrude 1979 ish.
I'm thinking of buying whole unit sat. .
Any quick comments please .

Found a pic of it but I guess I am not authorised to upload pics .I see on the other one there were springs on either side ,not on mine .could be the problem .someone fooled around with it and never put springs back in .yes no

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
There are two (2) springs on that shuttle valve which keeps it neutralized until pressure is generated on one side or the other. That valve assembly is not your problem.

If the electric motor runs in the down mode... and the reservoir is full, the problem is usually a air block under the oil pump, and if so, see the following write-up.

When you operate the electric motor in the down mode... and it is running...... do the two trim rams start to pull in?

Do you have another post going on about this PTT problem not working in the down mode... or is your first one?

(PTT Oil Pump Air Lock)
(J. Reeves)

When the PTT unit is as it should be, the electric motor runs, the manual release valve is closed, the unit is full of lubricant, and nothing works, the usual problem is an air lock under the oil pump Proceed with the following.

Engine in full tilt position. Remove reservoir fill plug screw. Insert a air nozzle up against the reservoir fill hole with rags (or something) packed around it to obtain a tight fit. Apply just a slight amount of pressurized air (10 psi resommended) to the reservoir. This will force the oil under the oil pump to remove the air lock. DO NOT go crazy with the air pressure (15 psi tops!).

Lplp52

Cadet
Thanks ,I did have another post about the relif screw .figured that one out here on forms .
I am new to this boat and got for a great price so I new there were a few problems .drives me nuts with the ptt .
So I don't need the springs on either side of that valve .?.
I will try the air tmrrw morning .low pressure ,one neighbour mentioned that also .,I just couldn't see that one ,my luck it is always the bad luck ,lol.
So I will try that and if not I will go get the used trim ,it is 150 cdn around the corner ,so why not .
The 2 rams do not go down at all ,even when the relief screw is opened .,the engine sits on them and will not budge .
Sorry for panic mode .trying to go to bay of quinte next weekend .140 Evinrude 1979 ish on a 16 sportcraft boat .

Lplp52

Cadet
An update .
I picked up the new trim unit .all pins came out easy and bolts .it is loose but will not juggle free ,I know I might have to cut a little piece out on starboard but it isn't wiggling enough yet ,I can't see anything else holding it ,unless on top of the trim motor that switch .
I thought this went to easy so far .

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Thanks ,I did have another post about the relif screw .figured that one out here on forms .
I am new to this boat and got for a great price so I new there were a few problems .drives me nuts with the ptt .
So I don't need the springs on either side of that valve .?.
I will try the air tmrrw morning .low pressure ,one neighbour mentioned that also .,I just couldn't see that one ,my luck it is always the bad luck ,lol.
So I will try that and if not I will go get the used trim ,it is 150 cdn around the corner ,so why not .
The 2 rams do not go down at all ,even when the relief screw is opened .,the engine sits on them and will not budge .
Sorry for panic mode .trying to go to bay of quinte next weekend .140 Evinrude 1979 ish on a 16 sportcraft boat .

Where did you see that suggestion? Yes, the springs are needed!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
140 Evinrude ,just bought this boat and had some issues .we had to release the screw to get engine down .tried to put new oring on up north ,did not work as we found out it had that special clip on it .trim would not work at all and was leaking .put it in water and took out once we noticed as did not want to do that to lake ,so we had a week s vacay ,no boat .it is going to a shop this week and just wondering if it is an expensive repair .thanks for the join and tia

How many gallons of two stroke oil do you put into the lake a year?

I bet it's pretty expensive, I think those trim units are not cheap. It's just a hydro cylinder and little motor , I have no idea why there so much?

Lplp52

Cadet
It didn't go down ,tried a few things and talked with a mechanic and for replacing the trim unit for 150 and a working one ,might as well do it .
Still having trouble pulling the old one out thiugh .close ,if it would of popped out like all the YouTube videos ,would of been an hour job ,but into it for about 3 hours now .any suggestions or hints ,even bad ones I will take now .

I find if I try a bit sit back and see something else or an idea to try .
No gas in water ,I can't afford that .
Thanks guys

Lplp52

Cadet
Excellent update .

I had to trim some pieces off to get the old one out .

Did that and wham -out in 5 seconds.

I have a 3 wire and the one I got was a 2 wire ,so I changed those motors out and before I installed in to fit I made sure it worked like it did on his bench .

Installed in about 15 minutes all bolted up ,pins in etc ,and doesn't work,under load.

Filled the hydraulic up and bang ,there she goes up and down like it's suppose too.

Thanks for the help here ,not sure why I can't post pics because it would help someone else out that has the same thing ,because mine did not come out like on YouTube .lol.

Big shout out to Randy's outboards on Trafalgar in Halton Hills .