'56 Lark 35 won't start under load

clyde_61

Recruit
My Lark was running, but lagging at higher speeds. Spark was good, but bowl was filled with debris so I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the carb and reset high/low to suggested settings. I can get it to start with no back pressure, but once the prop is on and in the water it won't start at all....any ideas?

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Ok, in the first place a '56 would not be 35hp, so I'll give a generic answer till we find out for sure what you have (model number?). So, have you checked the ignition system? Have the coils been replaced? Have you checked the compression? Those two items should have been first on your list.

clyde_61

Recruit
:facepalm: my bad....it's a 1956 30 HP Lark. We changed the coils two years ago, compression good. I found metal shavings when I opened cover to clean the bowl and found one of the 3 pawl retainers from under the manual start laying in the bottom of the case....could this be the problem

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well then I don't know what is wrong with you motor without further troubleshooting. But it probably is safe to say the starter pawls have nothing to do with it. The first thing we think of when a motor won't start in the water is worn out motor. That's why I asked about compression. But you say that's ok.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't mean to scare you, but they made some lemons in '56. They can be identified by serial number. I have the numbers for the Big Twin Electrics, but not the Larks. The motors are the same with different trim so maybe the serial numbers are the same also, I don't know. But try posting it anyway.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That's a pretty high serial number, so I'll stick my neck out and say it probably is ok. The change was made with serial number -09001 on the Big Twin version.