Crack in motor cover evinrude 50

Rollinjoy

Recruit
Hi everyone. Very new to the site and new to the boating world. I just purchased a pontoon with an evinrude 50 outboard 2004 motor.It has a crack on the lower engine cover case. Does this have to be fixed asap or can boat still be put in the water? Looks like I'll have to get replacement casings.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: . . . to iBoats.

How about some duct tape? :noidea: As long as the cover stays on, I would think that you will be fine. Probably look too much like a red neck if you motored around with the cover off.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Salt water fix asap. crystal clear fresh water, meh...

tpenfield Whats so bad about looking like a redneck?:eek: (just joshing around of course)

Rollinjoy

Recruit
Not sure wat u mean jakedawg. The last owner only used it in fresh waters. Lower covers looks like it's gonna cost me $900. Smh for Plastic covers.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Can do a pretty good job with MarineTex or JB Weld -- or Bondo and fiberglass tape. I've taken to using gaffer's tape for a lot of fixes -- durable stuff. On a crack, would probably do fine on the inside of the cover. Complicated lower covers on that motor, looks like.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Post a picture or three and let us see what type crack you are talking about. Then we can offer a lot better suggestions and ideas. Before I'd lay out $900 dollars for a new one, I'd try to repair the old one first. I mean if you do a great job with the repair, it could easily look like factory. But we need to see the crack. JMHO

Rollinjoy

Recruit
Havin a hard time posting pictures. Says invalid file data. Gonna grab some gaffers tape and try it out. At least get me through this season. Kids can have some fun temporarily. Thx