1967 Johnson 6hp Fuel Pump Water Pump

slowgsxr97

Cadet
Looking to get my old johnson cd-24s 6hp back in action. It does run but the fuel pump is shot. Are these pumps able to be rebuilt? Its no longer available. I would also like to do the water pump while I am at it. Do they make any interchangeable fuel pumps for this. And should I get just an impeller or the the whole water pump kit?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.-------That fuel pump is easy to repair and yes a diaphragm is available.------Used for many years and models.--------The diaphragm or repair kit may not be listed in the 67 parts book , but it is available all day long !

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Check the condition of the impeller housing and wear plate underneath. If not deeply gouged, just pop a new impeller in it.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Looking to get my old johnson cd-24s 6hp back in action. It does run but the fuel pump is shot. Are these pumps able to be rebuilt? Its no longer available. I would also like to do the water pump while I am at it. Do they make any interchangeable fuel pumps for this. And should I get just an impeller or the the whole water pump kit?
If you overhaul the fuel pump take very very careful note how it is assembled as you disassemble it.
Note two of the screws hold it onto the block. The other two hold it all together. Don't undo these two until you are right ready to disassemble it or the whole thing will fall apart and you wont have a clue how it all fits together again

Some notes which may help on LeeRoy's Ramblings website

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_6hp.htm for the CD series in general

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm for the square fuel pump in particular

Last edited:

slowgsxr97

Cadet
Appreciate the info guys. I cant find a rebuild kit, or aftermarket fuel pump anywhere. The numbers just dont cross. I found some that look identical, just not not listed for my year or model.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As stated some will argue and have doubt.----That little square pump was used for many years and many models.----Part # for the diaphragm and kit to follow !!-----Diaphragm is 331307-----Repair kit is 393088.----Looked up for a 1988 model 9.9 HP-----There are a host of motors that use the same kit / pump as I mentioned.----Run to a BRP dealer for the parts.----Often they refuse to help with old motors.---If you have part # it is a different story !!!

Last edited:

slowgsxr97

Cadet
Thanks for the great info!!! In your opinion do you think part number 18-7350 would work? Thats the number for a complete pump.

Looking at it closer, the barbs look like there clocked differently.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would never need / buy a new pump.---I have lots of those pumps and new diaphragms on hand.----Of course if you have the coins for a new pump you do not have any problems !

slowgsxr97

Cadet
Finally got time to work on this, water pump was easy enough. Fuel pump on the other hand, I took it apart on a spotless bench part by part, pics taken. It's perfect, but at the end of the instructions it says I shouldn't be able to blow into the outlet side of the pump. But I can get air both directions. I don't know what could be the issue. It's 100% as it was. I haven't tried putting fuel to it, as the instructions say I should only be able to blow air in one direction. Any advice?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Mistakes were made or one of the check valves is broken / stuck open.-----You should only be able to blow into the inlet barb.

slowgsxr97

Cadet
I have been through it countless times. I'm at a loss here. All I have is the 2 springs for the diaphragms, are those the check valves your talking about?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope---the check valves are both in the one square part.--Should be easy to find and " check " them.

slowgsxr97

Cadet
I see those, all they are is a spring and retainer. Im not sure how they work? Maybe its missing something.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is a check valve !--One allows fuel to go into the pump and other one allows it to go out.---Factory rebuild kit comes with comprehensive instructions.-----Then there is a site called ---leroysramblings ----That may help you.----These pumps are sensitive to how they are mounted.---If someone before you messed it all up you will be struggling !!!

slowgsxr97

Cadet
Ok, figured it out. The round plastic pieces that make up the 2 check valves were not it the pump. Someone had been in it before. Got them in place, and it seems like it works properly. Going to do a motor test this afternoon.

slowgsxr97

Cadet
Well that went great, ran it about a half hour in the barrel. Pumping water great, fuel pump working great with no leaks. Thanks for all the help.

Time for a gear oil change and it should be ready.