Evinrude Sportwin 10hp throttle roller adjustment?

Chadbud

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys! I'm starting a new thread for this issue as I need to have this fixed by my vacation next week so quick advice is essential to me! Thank you in advance to those that take the time to help me with this!

So after doing a tune up on my 1963 Evinrude Sportwin 10hp (SN: 10302E) I've noticed a throttle issue.

I replaced the ignition coils just before noticing this. The issue is that when my hand is on the throttle lever/arm and I turn it all the way to the LEFT (WoT) the throttle roller is only traveling about an inch or so down the throttle CAM. It makes it just barely past the black notch mark on the cam. The carb butterfly itself seems to just barely open. (Maybe you can see in the video).

At WoT like this I seem to reach about half of the max RPMs. I've tried this in all gears and it does not make a difference how far I can throttle it.

I did notice that the throttle butterfly linkage that connects all the way to the roller has some pins that aren't "tight" against other linkages. They have just the slightest amount of give before engaging.. but this is not accountable for the amount of throttle I'm missing. I know this just by simply pressing down on the throttle roller with my finger to reach higher RPMs.

So that's basically my issue! Logic tells me that I need that carb throttle roller needs to be adjusted in some way to move further up the cam.. or maybe the cam needs adjusted to be closer to the roller? Are either of these things possible though?

Let me know what you guys think I should do along with some instructions, if you'd be so kind! I'm a very novice mechanic and only know so much but I can follow direction well! Thank you so much!

Here's a video that I tried to capture showing the issue:

(The video starts with the throttle at WoT and you can see that as I give it less throttle it starts to starve for gasoline) does this look like the normal length the roller cam should travel?:

https://youtu.be/43DMjHe77Xs

lindy46

Captain
The magneto should rotate far enough so the cam follower roller is all the way to the high point on the cam. Are you in neutral? It will only advance about as far as shown in the video when in neutral. Check the neutral stop and make sure it is allowing the cam to rotate fully when in gear.

Chadbud

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The magneto should rotate far enough so the cam follower roller is all the way to the high point on the cam. Are you in neutral? It will only advance about as far as shown in the video when in neutral. Check the neutral stop and make sure it is allowing the cam to rotate fully when in gear.

You know what now that I think of it, that neutral stop didn't seem to be working right.. because I can shift gears no matter what point in the throttle I'm at. Does that sound normal? When I'm home from work tonight or tomorrow morning I'll try getting a video of it for ya. Would that cause this issue? Because the throttle doesn't change for me no matter what gear I'm in. But it's supposed to, right?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
To start, the throttle plates/arm should start to move when the roller hits that hash mark on the brass cam. IF not, loosen the right bolt, it will have an oblong hole, and you can then pivot that cam in and out to get the desired setting.

Then, you will need to fine tune your low speed needle on the water. It is perhaps too rich. Leaning it slightly will increase the RPMS.

Also, you need more water in your test tank. The buldge that holds the impeller needs to be completely submerged. Ideally the water line will be a few inches below the exhaust relief hole on the leg.

lindy46

Captain
To start, the throttle plates/arm should start to move when the roller hits that hash mark on the brass cam. IF not, loosen the right bolt, it will have an oblong hole, and you can then pivot that cam in and out to get the desired setting.

Yeah - looked at the video again and the roller is not moving the throttle arm when the roller hits the mark on the cam (not opening even past the mark). The motor IS in neutral during the video, so the throttle won't advance fully.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I replied to this once, but it seems to have gotten lost. I looked at your video and you have it in neutral. The interlock bar on the side of the powerhead is there to prevent opening the throttle in neutral or reverse. It is just doing its job and is not broken and does not need fixing. Put it in forward gear and you will be able to empty that tub in a nano-second (don't do it).

Chadbud

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I replied to this once, but it seems to have gotten lost. I looked at your video and you have it in neutral. The interlock bar on the side of the powerhead is there to prevent opening the throttle in neutral or reverse. It is just doing its job and is not broken and does not need fixing. Put it in forward gear and you will be able to empty that tub in a nano-second (don't do it).

Okay so I think I understand the issue. It's that there is a lock that prevents the throttle from going to WoT. This makes a lot of sense however here's the issue...

Nothing changes when I shift gears at all.. the prop starts spinning but I think the lock is still engaged or something that keeps it from opening up the throttle. I'll take pictures or a video of me shifting it tonight when I get home from work and post it immediately! What do you guys think?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well if what you say is true, the spring is missing form the top end of the lock, or it is not free to pivot in the middle. That thing is too simple to be rocket science.

Chadbud

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well if what you say is true, the spring is missing form the top end of the lock, or it is not free to pivot in the middle. That thing is too simple to be rocket science.

Okay guys so last night I grabbed a quick video of the entire throttle process as well as took a look at the shift bar to see if the motor being in gear would change anything. I've now noticed something new.. the throttle plate does not advance regardless of what gear the shifter is in. It doesn't even go far enough to reach the shift stopper (when it's in neutral) as you can see in the video.

when I'm turning the throttle in the video I'm advancing it all the way to the left (more throttle) and then all the way to the right (no throttle).

From what I can see, it appears that the issue may actually be INSIDE my tiller throttle handle? Towards the end of the video I take a video display the gear movement in the tiller handle and you can see the cogs not advancing all the way. Let me know what you guys think!

Video: https://youtu.be/hkPZx9MRDrQ

racerone

Supreme Mariner
At the bottom of the vertical rod beside the exhaust housing there is a plastic pin.---Are the ends broken off ?---I am installing that part on a 1979 motor and using a NOS brass pin.-No plastic junk for me on this motor.

lindy46

Captain
Try disconnecting the throttle vertical rod from the mag plate (at the top), put the gear lever in forward, and see if you can manually rotate the mag plate all the way.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Also make sure that none of the electrical from the mage plate is getting caught up on anything.

IF not, take that tiller handle off, and inspect inside.

BTW, I would take every junction of the throttle advance apart, clean the old grease, and grease with new. Inside tiller handle, at the gear junction, inside the throttle tower support brackets, and underneath the mag plate, although Ill assume you did that when you did the coils.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
At the beginning of your video where you are turning the twist grip, it looks like it may be binding on the red indicator band. That actually is quite common. Put a couple drops of oil at that junction and see if that improves the situation.

Also, as you rotate it back and forth, I hear a lot of clunking and scraping sounds----as if the coils are rubbing on the flywheel magnets. When you installed the coils did you adjust them back flush with the machined edges on the mounting posts?

I see the plastic pin that racerone mentioned appears to be intact. But that was a worthy thought.

Chadbud

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Try disconnecting the throttle vertical rod from the mag plate (at the top), put the gear lever in forward, and see if you can manually rotate the mag plate all the way.

Hey Lindy46, and everyone else!

I disconnected the small silver clip from the throttle rod that connects it to the mag plate swing arm. I then did as you said and tried to rotate the mag plate while the motor was in forward gear.. to my disappointment the problem still exists.. I cannot advance the mag plate any further than before. I did try turning it "Extra" hard to see if it budges at all and for a moment it did begin to move slightly.. I immediately stopped doing this to prevent any possible damage. I also took apart the tiller handle and everything seemed fine in there so that's not the issue.

What do you think this means? At this point, I'm frustrated and have no idea what could be holding the mag plate up. Could I have done something wrong when reassembling the mag plate after replacing the coils? I did make sure that the wires were out of the way and tucked underneath the coils as best I could before putting the top piece of the magneto back on. Is it possible that they slipped back in the way? It would still surprise me that a small wire like that would cause this issue even if it was close to the shaft. Is there anything else I could have done wrong that would cause this issue?

Only have 3 more days to fix this before vacation! I hope I find the solution! Please let me know what you guys think I should do now?

lindy46

Captain
I'd loosen the 4 screws holding the mag plate - 2 through the coils and 2 next to the coils - see if anything is binding. If it's still binding, remove the mag plate and check everything. Did you have the brass ring under the mag plate off? Is the ring under the brass ring (where the mag plate fastens down) set with the flat side up?