1989, johnson 150 GT.. NO FUEL??

Rderrick121

Cadet
Hello, I recently replaced the power pack on my Johnson 150 GT 1989 project because I wasn't getting any spark, now I am getting spark and boat will run on starter fluid although I suspect its not getting any fuel. I believe the oil injection has been removed prior as there is no oil tank and a capped line. I was looking at some things online and possible the "pulse" that runs the fuel pump is possibly disconnected. could anybody give me an overview of what lines I should have connected to my fuel pump? Thank you! also, if it helps the model number is: J150STLCE

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Post a pic of the fuel pump/pumps. If the VRO was replaced with pulse style you would require two I believe.

Have you done a compression check? Post results.

Will it run if you squeeze the bulb continuously?

Running on starter fluid will eventually destroy the motor. Doesn't take that long to ruin it either.

Rderrick121

Cadet
If it is not the pulse which the more I think about it I remember it was connected... Should I rebuild the pump? Do they go bad often?

Rderrick121

Cadet
No Title

Also I checked the compression it is consistent among all six cylinders, just a quick bump of the starter yields about 80 pounds while longer cranks of a second or more take it around 100.

Attachments

• photo271737.jpg
    photo271737.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271738.JPG
    photo271738.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Somebody will come along with the link to the How-to thread for the v-6's. You will replace that pump with two pulse pumps. Easy-Peasy. I just don't remember where the thread is. Might be in the sticky at the top of the page.

Doing that will get you fuel flowing. Depending on how long it has been sitting you will also probably want to rebuild your carbs. Also easy and there are many searchable threads on here that all ready cover those carbs.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
There are several tests you can do on the pump to see if it faulty....a pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge is needed.

if the motor COULD run, you could insert a TEE at the fuel inlet and run a vacuum gauge....you should get 3inhg at idle for a functioning fuel pump...or 3 psi at the fuel outlet.

Some tests

Apply pressure to the pulse fitting up 15 psi and see if it holds pressure.....apply vacuum to pulse fitting to 15 inhg and see if it holds vacuum...if it does then air motor side is fine.

the fuel pump side consists of a bellows diaphragm with molded in plastic in the center and brown flapper that seals against the molded plastic.
The diaphragm can rupture leaking fuel (reducing pressure) , and the brown flapper can tear, where it won't push fuel up the outlet.

There are kits online for just the fuel side of the VRO and just the air motor side of the VRO, each about $60....a new non-vro pump is an easy replacement, but will cost you a bit too...about $180...but after the initial purchase I'm sure the rebuilding parts are cheaper.

the rebuilding of the VRO is very simple, plenty of you tube videos, but you only have a finite amount of times you can unscrew the black plastic halves until the threads get boogered up....that too is fixable with some ingenuity.

I'm sure you labeled the fittings or not the fittings of your pump, but

someones_vro_pump.png

Rderrick121

Cadet
Hi Cfauvel, looks good although it seems you mislabeled the pulse and gas outlet by switching them? The 90 degree fitting runs beneath the motor, and I'm pretty sure the one onto runs into the fuel rail? Are you sure?

Hi Jake, if I want to switch to just premixing gas will I have to get the new "two pulse pump" setup? I watched some videos and it seemed the only thing I had to do was cut out the oil, cap the lines and send in mixed gas?

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
We need the rest of the story. You mentioned this was a "project". I take that to mean you got a boat and motor in real bad shape and are trying to make it useable.

You posted pic of pump already off motor. You said oil had been capped.

Vro price is down at the moment. New one is 400. Oil tank 130. Buy new and make things right and cool then no premix.

See what I mean. We need the whole story to steer you in the best direction.

What do you have, what is your goal, what have you done thus far.

Rderrick121

Cadet
Hi Jake, I didn't get the motor in such bad shape so far I believe all it needs is the power pack, fuel delivery and carbs cleaned. I am doing the project on a budget and want to keep it as cheap as possible. The boat on the other hand is a MESS I'm talking mess like this thing is its own planter box in places and thats why I am so exited to play with it. My plans include 1. Get the motor running (strong). 2. Strip the inside(whats left). 3. Build the inside(building seats and flooring) 4. Polish it up and run the hell out of it. I know it seems like a lot of work and I will post the best picture I have at the moment.

So far the only thing I have done is replace the power pack to get spark to the motor, after last night the motor was running but only when I squirted the gas/oil mix right into the air box. After tonight I was able to isolate the problem more discovering that I couldn't get any fuel to the carbs.. I blew out the line after the fuel pump(the line before was fine) and a whole bunch of greenish old liquid came out smelled like turpentine. After this I was able to get the motor running although I would have to squeeze the primer ball good and hard with the boat in gear at a fair speed (2500ish rpm) to keep it running. I now suspect the fuel pump is bad as well as the idle jets are blocked since it won't idle unless I spray it with fuel.

I would like to know if that seems like its what could be wrong? Also if the fuel pump is bad instead of replacing or rebuilding it and sticking with my budget whats your opinion on a cheap electric fuel pump, something small and inline that I would wire in to turn on with the key?

Thanks again.

Rderrick121

Cadet
No Title

Its in rough shape!

Attachments

• photo271825.jpg
    photo271825.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271826.jpg
    photo271826.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 0

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Cfauvel, looks good although it seems you mislabeled the pulse and gas outlet by switching them? The 90 degree fitting runs beneath the motor, and I'm pretty sure the one onto runs into the fuel rail? Are you sure?

Hi Jake, if I want to switch to just premixing gas will I have to get the new "two pulse pump" setup? I watched some videos and it seemed the only thing I had to do was cut out the oil, cap the lines and send in mixed gas?

nope I'm sure.... the brown nipple is the gas outlet.....all of the inlets are on one side (usually pointing DOWN)....the pulse nipple is under the bit of the housing that has a rectangular shape.

to use premix just three things really.
1 - cap the oil inlet, which is the smallest nipple 1/4"
2 - unplug the three wire connector
3 - remove the oil reservoir and line.

assuming your pump is working.
(credit to [FONT=&quot]Bill Grannis for following cut away)[/FONT]
vro719x632.jpg

Attachments

• vro719x632.jpg
    vro719x632.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
DO NOT use an electric fuel pump.

either fix the VRO fuel pump or go aftermarket fuel pump that runs solely on engine pulse.