1990 Johnson gt 150 fuel problems

Stu3006

Cadet
Ok, had. Oat out again yesterday.....ran some sea foam in gas, didn't help. Had my son drive and I went back and pumped primer bulb, no change... only thing that will give it the power it should is pushing in primer key. I have had the carbs cleaned three times, marina says it not that. What simple test could I do to see if the vro gas side is weak..

Motor starts great
Idles great

Thanks for all the info...trying to save me some money by fixing myself...

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
two tests to do for the fuel pump.

with a pressure gauge and a TEE into the fuel outlet...the pump should produce about 3 PSI at idle , you can also TEE into the gas inlet a vacuum gauge and should suck about 3 in hg at idle....I'd recommend testing with an external tank in case you have a fuel obstruction to the gas tank.

also on the pulse fitting, you should be able to hold 15psi with no leaks and hold 15 in hg with no leaks.....otherwise you may have an issue with the air motor side.

oh and the pulse limiter take that off an inspect it for clogs.

ob

Admiral
Unless I'm getting light headed in my old age, if you water tested yet again and can get no change in performance by pumping the fuel primer bulb and can only get a reaction by pushing the key fuel primer , you have a fuel delivery issue that is highly likely not the fuel pump. Maybe your marina is wrong on the carburetors.

Stu3006

Cadet
Unless I'm getting light headed in my old age, if you water tested yet again and can get no change in performance by pumping the fuel primer bulb and can only get a reaction by pushing the key fuel primer , you have a fuel delivery issue that is highly likely not the fuel pump. Maybe your marina is wrong on the carburetors.

Your probably right, going to change all fuel lines and then have carbs gone through again...