1981 Johnson Evinrude not achieving WOT

J140TLCIH

Cadet
Thanks interalian. I did both, Hooked the muffs and filled the tote. Only ran the engine while the water was runing that way like you said the pump is wet and primed. I dont want to believe that fuel leak is my issue but i think its one less thing to throw me off. I checked lines from all three tanks and the shutoff valves. Also ran it on a new portable fuel tank. By the way was anyone able to see the video. Not sure if it linked correctly. Thanks for the help yall.

J140TLCIH

Cadet
Oldboat1 i just saw ur post and looked up the 54 sea breeze. Its does resemble it. It was never a speed boat but it always went fast enough to put a smile on my face. Thanks to you all for your help.

J140TLCIH

Cadet
Hello everyone. Finally did the compression test. Cylinder 1 0. Cylinder 100. Cylinder 3 100. Cylinder 4 100. Iteralian you were on point recommending that test first. Thanks to everyone for all the help and info.

interalian

Commander
Too bad. You going to pull the heads off and have a peek? If you do, inspect the rubber water deflectors and send pix.

You only need to unbolt the water hose, the 10 1/2" head bolts and disconnect the coil plug.

J140TLCIH

Cadet
Im going to attempt a complete rebuild. The head of piston 1 is not completly round like the other. The rings are not there or i cant see them them. There are holes is the exhaust manifold ports inserts both left and right. Since i cant figure out how to post pictures ill have to do a youtube link again. Thanks to everyone once more for all the info and tips. Im going to get the OEM manual and start there.

interalian

Commander
Good luck with your build. I did one last year and it went very well. Linked in my signature line. Ask lots of questions if you need to - we like watching rebuilds from afar (at least I do...).

Pictures are easy if you can get them under 400KB. You need to resize to make them work.

J140TLCIH

Cadet
Btw, does anyone know a good website for a good OEM book? How about for rebuild kits. I found some books and some kits on ebay. Any recommendations for sellers. I apologize in advance for the lazy/dumb question. Just trying not to get ripped off.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Just a point of note - I always put the rod caps back on their respective rods when I do a disassembly to prevent them from getting mixed up with the other rods. They're all matched sets.

J140TLCIH

Cadet
I agree with you chinewalker. I want to rebuild the whole thing. Hopefully i can find a good kit with everything. In retrospect i should have marked them. But after i saw how many rusted and broken bolts i had, i lost all bearing and just tore it apart. I got all the bolts, studs, etc and put them in a buckect. This is going to be fun. Have yall seen the movie man of honor? The scene where he has to assemble that valve under water, but first he has to find all the scatter parts and tools? Thats going to be me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just another example of why I always say ----" Compression test is step # 1 on a crossflow "----Do not have enuff fingers and toes to count the number of those engines like that on the shop floor.----If I have that many then how many of these have failed in total ?????

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Just another example of why I always say ----" Compression test is step # 1 on a crossflow "----Do not have enuff fingers and toes to count the number of those engines like that on the shop floor.----If I have that many then how many of these have failed in total ?????
You do say that a lot....LOL.....same thing for loopers?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When I read post # 1 on this thread I just chuckle and say ----" what happened to simple trouble shooting skills "----They are gone like the passenger pigeon I think !