s it okay for a 1977 Johnson 6ph to leak a few drips?

jimwalt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased my first boat. It's a 1955 Wolverine 12' row boat. It came with a 1977 Johnson 6ph. It fires up after a few pulls. I noticed that oil was coming out in the hole in the back that's half way down the shaft. In addition is seemed that there was oil also coming out near the very bottom. I took it to a very reputable service center to have it looked at and see if it needed a tune up. The owner told me that it looked to be one of the best motors he has serviced from that time (he's been around for over 30 years). He said that they will leak a drip or two of oil, because the shaft is like an exhaust pipe and it's pointing down. He said that there was probably some bad/cheap oil used in the past and suggested that I only use Johnson (which I will). He cleaned the carberator, said the plugs looked great and didn't need to be changed and he sent me on my way. Where I have a problem is that it just "doesn't make sense" that anything should leak oil (good oil, cheap oil, or whatever). I don't want oil on my driveway and I also don't want to have to put down something under the motor for the next 10 years! So what do I do?

Also, how often do you need to change the oil of the lower unit by the prop? I've been reading a lot online and learning at much as I can, but I'm not that handy. Can I some how look at the oil around the prop and determine if it needs to be changed? Just like you do for a car, pull the stick and if it's old it will be dark brown (vs. new light brown). What kind of oil, and how much does the lower unit take? Maybe I should just change it out anyway????

Thank you for your help. This is my first post here and I hope to learn a lot from everyone.

jimwalt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is my first post. It says I can't create or edit attachments. So I can add any pictures. :-(

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Change the oil on the lower unit.----Use the best oil , your service guy will know.-----And the oil that is mixed with the gas can leak a bit out the exhaust.-----That is just a fact on those motors !

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Sounding like the dripping is residual oil from the gas oil mix, which is not a problem.

Not a bad idea to change the gearcase oil. It should be changed once a year just to verify that its not getting water in there. There is a special outboard gearcase oil. Each oil manufacture makes one.

The water pump impeller should also be changed periodically. Once a year if you use the engine regularly. I'd do it before running the engine again if it just sat for 3 years without being used since the last change. The runner compound used to make the impeller degrades with age.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those impellers on the 6 hp are much more durable than you would think.----If it is original it certainly would need changing.----Every 5 / 6 years for those impellers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Think of it: Every morsel of oil that you put in the gas goes through the engine. It is used only once, and then is either burned (makes smoke) or goes out the exhaust. In the exhaust, it picks up traces of carbon, which turns it black. Then you see that oil drip from the exhaust and get concerned. That's ok, but rest assured, it is normal.

jimwalt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Change the oil on the lower unit.----Use the best oil , your service guy will know.-----And the oil that is mixed with the gas can leak a bit out the exhaust.-----That is just a fact on those motors !

Thank you could you tell me what oil for the lower unit is correct for a 1977Johnson 6 hp? Thank you.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Go back to the mechanic who taught you how to use the choke, and buy the oil from him -- buy what he recommends and sells. Pick up some washers for the fill and drain plugs, while you are at it, and a pump for refilling the gearcase. Ask him to point to the drain and fill screws on your motor or a similar one. There is a pivot pin screw you should avoid, and ask him to point that out as well.