Johnson 130 1996 Powering Down Issues

Cajundave10

Seaman
The motor cranks and seems to run fine on the hose pipe. Took it out the other day and got up on plane with plenty of power and then all of a sudden after a couple of minutes it intermittently has power issues where it revs in and out of full power. Eventually it does not intermittently cut in and out it just runs at extremely low power.

The VRO system was removed before I owned the boat so I just mix the oil and fuel myself.

I'm assuming it's running in safe mode but the guage and alarm do not appear to be working on the boat. Also, the tachometer is not properly functioning as it reads way higher than the motor appears to be running.

Thoughts on troubleshooting this problem?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The warning horn should beep momentarily when you turn the key to the ON position.... If it does not, find out why as that is the only warning you will receive, varying in different beeps as follows. Without the warning horn, your engine may be overheating and going into S.L.O.W. mode and you would have no idea what is going on.

Information on your tachometer is also included below.

(Testing Warning Horn)
(J. Reeves)

On VRO equipped engines where the VRO automatic fuel/oil setup is still being used, make sure that all components are connected as required. This would include the VRO pump wiring harness itself, the oil tank wiring, the overheat sensor(s), and if so equipped.... the vacuum switch that is standard to many V6 & V8 engines.

If the VRO automatic setup has been eliminated and has been disconnected properly, and the fuel and oil is being premixed, make sure that the overheat sensors are still connected, and the vacuum switch if the engine is so equipped.

On engines prior to 1984 which have no VRO setup, ignore the instructions pertaining to the VRO components, etc above.

Turn the key to the ON position (Engine Not Running). Find the TAN wire at the cylinder head(s), then ground out the portion of that wire that is part of the engine wiring harness. If that Tan wire connector has the knife type connector where as it is exposed simply by sliding the rubber insulator back, it does not need to be disconnected.

Grounding that TAN wire should cause the horn to sound. If it does not, find out why as that's the only warning you'll receive should the engine overheat or have some portion of the VRO system fail, or have the engine encounter a fuel restriction if it is equipped with a vacuum switch.
(Odd Soundings Of Warning Horn)
(J. Reeves)

Should the warning horn beep constantly when the key is turned to the ON position rather than sounding just a short beep as it should, do the following test.

Remove the TAN wire from the horn. If the constant beeping continues, the horn is faulty, in which case replace it. However, on the other hand, if the beeping stops, something has gone wrong with one of the sensor components at the engine, in which case start disconnecting the TAN wires that are connected to the various components (Heat Sensors, VRO, Vacuum Switch if so equipped, Oil Tank). Disconnecting a unit and having the beeping stop...... you've found the faulty component.

NOTE: The small black plastic horn that has a built in black ground wire...... The TAN wire must be attached to the terminal closest to that black wire. Otherwise weird things will happen.
(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.
(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the Gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another Gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

Cajundave10

Seaman
Thanks Joe Reeves for the insight. My horn is definitely not working but I'm not sure SLOW mode is my issue anymore.

I think I I am having a fuel issue. A friend of mine suggested pumping the bulb when it powers down and so I just took it out and tried it. It runs like a scalded dog when I do this.

Do I have a fuel pump issue? As soon as it powers down I reach back and pump the bulb. It has the feel that it has lost pressure. When I pump it back up, the engine powers back up shortly thereafter.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Cajundave10

Seaman
No Title

Will this pump work? It is off of a 1985 Johnson 120 part number 174264. It appears that the other pump has wires running from it and this pump does not so therefore this may not work, but it would be nice if it would save me some $'s. Thanks

Attachments

• photo270771.JPG
    photo270771.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo270772.JPG
    photo270772.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo270773.JPG
    photo270773.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
As long as you are using it just for pumping pre-mix and NOT OIL, you can try it, keeping in mind that it is 32 years old, non-rebuildable, and may have dried out diaphragms.

Cajundave10

Seaman
VRO has been removed. Sounds dicey trying the old pump. What non-vro pump would be compatible with my J130tledm