1962 75hp Starflite Selectric Shift Evinrude Outboard Not Shifting Into Forward Gear

1962 75hp Starflite Selectric Shift Evinrude Outboard Not Shifting Into Forward Gear. It is going into neutral and reverse. What could be the cause of this and how do I troubleshoot it?

Thank you!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

First thing to do is make sure the lower unit is full of oil, not water. (It takes special oil)

Second thing to do is determine whether it is an electrical problem or something in lower unit. Slide the insulator sleeves back on the wire disconnects and use a multimeter to check voltages at the terminals. Do not disconnect them for this test. DO NOT run or crank the motor while disconnects are exposed without special precautions. With key on, shift to forward and reverse gears, checking voltages in each case. Should show battery voltage on the green wire in forward gear and on blue wire in reverse. No or low voltages indicate an electrical problem ahead of this point. A low voltage could also mean the wire leading to the lower unit may be shorted to ground. Whatever the results, you now have information to determine where to go from here.

WARNING While messing with this thing, keep this in mind: Applying a voltage to both wires at the same time while running or cranking may cause serious and $$$$ damage.

Attachments

• photo270081.jpg
    photo270081.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
No Title

I switched the forward and reverse wires connected to the Remote Button Shifter and confirmed that all the buttons work. Forward still did not go into gear. I also checked the quick disconnect terminals and found that both wires have about 5 ohms.

I am now trying to take off the lower unit to further investigate but it seems like I am missing something. I drained the oil, disconnected the quick terminals, and then removed the lower unit bolts. The lower unit has seperated by an 1/8 of an inch but I cant pull or pry it off. Is there something else I need to disconnect?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo272350.PNG
    photo272350.PNG
    907.4 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
omc1.png You've got to take the rear lower cover off(gray arrow). You got the outer access cover off(gray circle), the inner cover, which the cable passes thru needs to be removed, pulled out the access hole. Then you need to lube the cable with dish soap it can be pulled thru the inner cover. If you have all the little bolts removed the unit is just being held back by friction on the cooling system grommets and drag on the driveshaft/crankshaft splines. Some love taps cushioned with wood and tension should drop the gearcase.

Ignore the red arrow, When I drew it I thought there was a bolt there. Memories of the 40hp engine