1989 johnson 40 hp fuel pump

encore

Cadet
can the 1989 40 hp fuel pump be repaired with a kit? manual says no but i see they sell a kit for it. had to keep pushing primer button to keep it running to get back to dock,seemed to run ok the other times i had it at full throttle, but almost every time at start up it would run right up until i was ready to shift it into gear but would quit, unless i kept pushing primer. so assuming it could be the pump, squeezing the fuel line bulb did nothing.--thanks----tom

ob

Admiral
If you have to push the fuel primer to keep it running it is likely fouled /restricted carburetors.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
agree. Your use of the bulb tested the pump -- would have gotten a response if the pump was faulty. Think the carbs have a needle valve -- might try adjusting that first. If no success, assume carb cleaning/rebuilding.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Using the electric primer valve puts fuel directly into the motor.----This fuel bypasses the carburetors completely.-----This STRONGLY suggest that the carburetors need attention !

encore

Cadet
ok thanks pretty sure by looking at manual and year , high speed, intermediate , and idle are all fixed, not sure if there is an intermediate tho. was a long ride home today and it's in the 90's and very humid out, boat is in garage and too tired to pull it out. forgot to mention boat hasn't been in the water for a few years, been in the garage tho., also need to replace the roller that goes in the curved slotted piece,on throttle linkage, i think for changing the timing, there was play in throttle where i had to really turn it to get the boat up on plane, don't think that had anything to do with other problem? or did it?----tom

encore

Cadet
any way to just spray any cleaner in there, or do they have to be pulled out and taken apart?---thanks tom

ob

Admiral
They'll need to be removed disassembled and cleaned to do the job right.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yup. Disassemble, soak in cleaner, finish with carb spray. I usually leave fixed jets in place for soaking, and hit them with carb spray using the plastic nozzle (avoids risk of damaging them in trying to remove).