1973 Evinrude 50 Mystery Hose Spraying Fuel

MiOutboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Today I noticed this mystery hose spraying a fuel/water mixture into the hood of the outboard as seen below. It comes out of the engine block beneath the carburator. Does anyone know what this hose is for and where it is supposed to be going? The engine runs fine without it.

Attachments

• photo269285.JPG
    photo269285.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269286.JPG
    photo269286.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269287.JPG
    photo269287.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269288.JPG
    photo269288.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 0

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Relatively new to outboards, but....

​Sounds and looks like the "Mystery Hose" is hose (36) that connects nipple (26) to nipple (29). in the following diagram..
http://www.iboats.com/Intake-Manifol...iew_id.1551311

​As I understand it, that's a hose used to recycle any fuel mix in the air box back into the intake on the lower cylinder..

​As for why it's spraying fuel?? NO idea.. It should have a vacuum on it to suck the fuel from airbox..

​That is, IF it's the hose I think it is.. .
​I'm quite sure some of the other great folks will be along shortly, and will offer much better thoughts,
but hopefully that gets you started with a thought..

​For what it's worth..

MiOutboarder

Seaman Apprentice
I did find the nipple that you mentioned. But now the gas mix just seems to spout into the air box and then proceeds to drip into the cowl and then into my splash well...

77kingfisher

Seaman
Sounds to me like your carb is leaking fuel into your intake manifold that's not able to be sucked up. Id start with a carb rebuild and new hose. Also look at your reeds in your intake and see if they have deposits on them, If they do clean and adjust them to spec. Then run the hell out of it on the water and then reexamine to see if your still getting excess fuel.

MiOutboarder

Seaman Apprentice
To update everyone-
Ive had the boat out a few times and ran the hell out of it as kingfisher said. Idles fine, the only problem would be anything above 3/4 throttle results in the engine revving up and then dying for a second, then revving up again and repeat. I just rebuilt both of the carbs before this problem occurred, and I still notice fuel in the cowl and dripping out into my splash well.
Anyone have any ideas of what to check or adjust?

77kingfisher

Seaman
Well to me it's still a fuel issue. I understand you rebuilt the carbs, and im not saying that they are wrong. Some times its the simple things that get overlooked. When you rebuilt the carbs did you check and set your float height, along with replace your needles? If yes and they are correct, try checking your air fuel screws are set even. If im not mistaken 1/2 to 1 turn from all the way in is spec. Please correct if im wrong.