1987 60hp Johnson seeps fuel out of top of carb

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
my 1987 60hp Johnson started seeps fuel out of the tiny hole in the top jet of the top carb at idle. The fuel puddles in the throat of the top carb then drips down to the middle and bottom carb. Figured it needed a new needle and seat so I replaced them but it does the same still. Could this be a reed issue?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Do you mean the float needle and seat, or the idle mix needle? It sound like an issue in the idle passages in the top carb. Short of disassembling, you might pull out the needle and spray carb clean in using the nozzle, then do the same to the jet. There should be a lead shot up there on top as well -- make sure that is in place.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
yup, I replaced the float, needle and seat. these carbs do not have a rich/lean adjustment needle. it has a set jet.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Swap your carb over and have a look at the reeds as you do it. See if the problem follows the carb or if its a problem with that cylinder/inlet manifold.
When you have the carb off, turn it upside down and try and breath in the fuel inlet hole, it should not allow any breath in

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
the diagram is correct my model number is J60TLCUC except for the rich/lean needle is for the 75hp only.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
I swapped the top carb with the bottom one. the bottom carb in the top spot is doing the same. Checked the compression...between 138-140 in each cylinder.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Did you look at the reed valves when you had the carb off?
Have you held a dollar bill over the throat of the carb to see if theres any backdraft happening?

Last edited:

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did look at the reeds and did not see any physical damage.
​no. I can see fuel spitting out. never thought of putting money in front it.
​It runs pretty good. Except if I troll for a long period of time. She will load up on the extra fuel dripping into the other carbs.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
suppose I could just tilt 'er up a little when trolling and the fuel would run down away from the carbs?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
suppose I could just tilt 'er up a little when trolling and the fuel would run down away from the carbs?

Depends if you a happy where that fuel goes and if you want it perfect or not
It would probably get to me but i have lived with a dripping transfer case on my 4*4 for a long time but i could hardly give a rats about it now