1956 Johnson Javelin starter

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know the part number for a 56 Javelin starter? Where would you recommend getting one from and if you know, what's the average price? Thank you.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
BUMP

I'm trying to solve several problems on this motor but one of them I know of is that the starter is stuck in the engaged position. I can't get the bendix gear to disengage. I assume it's just better to get a new starter but I need to know a part number or get some leads as to how to find one for this. Thanks.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
BUMP. Still needing the part number for a replacement starter for my 56 Javelin. Please help!

lindy46

Captain
That's a 6 volt starter and I doubt you'll find a NOS one. I'd go to AOMCI.org and post a free want-ad in their classifieds. Someone there will most likely have one.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you lindy46. The motor has been converted at some point to 12 volt. Would I need to get another 6 volt or should I get a 12 volt?

lindy46

Captain
A six volt starter and a 12 volt starter will both operate off of 12 volts, but are different diameters and have different brackets. Does your starter have a metal band around the base? A pic of the starter would help.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Take the starter to a rebuild shop and see if it can be fixed. A number of years ago, I found that there was nobody left in Maryland who rewound them, if that's what's needed (was a source in Georgia, as I recall). That armature may be part of the problem. I ran '57s.

You may need only cleaning and brushes, maybe a new Bendix. Again, ARCO (in Florida) is a good source and good customer service if you don't have a local shop.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here's a picture of the starter, lindy. Yes it has the metal band around the bottom. Oldboat, we don't have any ARCO around here (I'm in central Illinois). Do you think there are any Sierra starters or any other brand that would be a suitable replacement for this one? Thank you two SO much for answering my posts.

Attachments

• photo269654.jpg
    photo269654.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 0

lindy46

Captain
That's the original 6 volt starter. A 12 volt starter is a different diameter and won't fit your bracket without modification. Does your starter spin when you apply power? If so, I'd just replace the bendix. Or try freeing the bendix with PB Blaster.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
lindy, yes it still works (amazing that it's the original and works after all these years!!) My issue was that it was staying engaged with they flywheel instead of dropping back down. I noticed that issue while trying to troubleshoot why my new solenoid was staying in the closed position continuously feeding power to the starter. (I thought maybe one was causing the other issue?) I did soak it in PB over night and was able to free it then I applied some marine grease. I haven't tried it again yet to see if it will drop back down after engaging the flywheel. I was thinking ahead that if it was going to start having issues getting stuck, I need to have a more reliable part on there. Oldboat1 suggested going through ARCOmarine for a new starter at about $150. The motor only cost me $500 when I bought it (and it was attached to an old boat I didn't want so I sold that and got some money out of that as well). I'm hesitant to put $150 into this, funds are lean right now. :(

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If you don't have a local rebuilder, don't want to send it to a rebuilder, don't want to buy a new one, guess you need to pull it off and fix it. Take it apart and clean it as step one. That's after you shine all connections, try to jump from a good battery, etc.

Good luck with it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
DONT want to get you hopes up but im going to look around my garage i seem to remember a starter laying around maybe a j/e starter If its indeed a omc starter i will let you know .Ive tossed 2 of those 56 30hp in the last few years.Being in Canada nobody wants them and shipping to the states is stupid expensive for some odd reason but i live 5 minutes from Michigan so ???Let me look and confirm on here first.Do you know anybody in soo michigan?

82rude

Rear Admiral
As usual cant find it, must of tripped over it one to many times.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
82rude-thanks for looking, I appreciate it!!
lindy-I'll wipe off the marine grease and use the 3 in 1 oil, thank for that advice.
oldboat-I'll ask around my local O'Reilly's and facebook friends to see if anyone local rebuilds starters. I can always take it apart and clean it up. My whole philosophy with this boat is if it's dead, I can't make it worse. I took it from nothing five years ago to running great and had nothing to lose but that initial $500 plus some paint. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. ;) I just can't afford to pinch my pocketbook much at this time.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well i found a 56 hood for a 30 a 56 5.5 lower etc but no blasted starter .You should be able to get the starter rebuilt easily enough,i know up here we have a guy that tells you it will be ready in a day or so then calls and tells you to come get it in 2 or 3 hours,lol.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Paying for rebuilding can be expensive too, unfortunately.

If the starter spins, it's got a chance. Agree with Lindy's advice on the bendix lube (light oil) -- might try some automatic transmission fluid. Taking the starter apart and cleaning it up may be enough, but best to insure first that it's getting enough current. I would jump it from a known good battery (your car), using automotive jumpers from the car battery directly to the starter -- positive to the positive post on the starter, negative to the bracket. The gear should pop up and spin the flywheel with some authority. Don't need to really crank it for long. Just enough to make sure the starter will work if it gets good current.