OMC Control Harness Adapter

MNboatguy

Cadet
Does anyone recognize this adapter harness? I am working on a Pontoon boat with a 1996 Evinrude 40hp. This adapts the boat extension harness to the engine harness. I can not find one, and this one has a shorted stop circuit.

Attachments

• photo269179.JPG
    photo269179.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269180.JPG
    photo269180.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269181.JPG
    photo269181.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Unless I have it backwards, the red connector permitted use of an older control box with a newer motor(?) Red plugs were around for years.

Are you sure the problem is in the harness? Probably a good idea to thoroughly clean up any corrosion and do some continuity testing, if you haven't done that already. I would think the key switch is a more likely suspect.

MNboatguy

Cadet
oldboat1 I have ohm tested the harness, and the stop circuit is shorted to ground in it. It started with a no start, I unplugged the boat harness (red connector) and crank with jumper box and it started. I went to the key switch next as that is the usual suspect, unplugged it and ohmed the black/yellow and it was grounded. Inspected the engine end and found this adapter harness in between the engine and the boat harness. Pulled the side cover and removed it, ohmed the stop circuit to the ground and found the short.

This is a weird adapter, I've never seen one like it before, and I've worked on a lot of different boats. My guess is that Sylvan sends their pontoons with a harness, and the dealer then adds an adapter or the engine they install. CDI does have one that is close, but no exact. I might email them a pic and see if they can help.

I red connector on the engine splits off and connects to 3 Weather PAC connectors, I wonder if I can change that out to match the boat harness?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think you are right about the dealer prep. -- also good plan to email CDI with pics and info. Chance you are referencing a tilt and trim hookup in that split connection you describe?

Able to determine exactly where the ground short exists in the adapter?

Last edited: