Reading plugs on Johnson 225

KB2DEM

Cadet
These 3 plugs are from the port side of a 2001 johnson 225. Engine runs great off idle. Lately at idle i detect a slight miss. Not consistent. All plugs look the same except the one on the left. Any ideas, safe to run?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo268927.jpg
    photo268927.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, They are hard to see clearly. When was the last time they were replaced? Maybe it is time. Do you use the Champion QL78YC sparkplugs?

ob

Admiral
I'm wondering whether this is a direct injected model . Can you post a model number? Otherwise the far left plug definitely looks drier that the other two. Certainly don't want to lean out a cylinder.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You mean the one on the left looks cleaner? I was thinking that the middle one looks fouled, but agree with Boobie -- hard to see a lot in the pic. If one is super clean, it could be washed/steamed (water intrusion). And maybe it's not holding up its end of the job -- not firing.

Conversely, if the middle one is fouled, maybe that one is periodically not firing -- getting a buildup of unburned fuel, some carboning or goo-on-the-way-to-carboning. Maybe that plug simply wasn't torqued down as well as the others, or was gapped wrong.

I would check compression and spark using appropriate testers, all plugs removed -- open air gap tester for spark (cheap little device). If the ignition is producing strong spark all around, replace the plugs, gap to spec and try again, assuming the compression is uniform. Post your numbers.

(I don't see any reason why those plugs would be unsafe for the motor somehow, so not sure what you mean there. Can undoubtedly use cleaning and regapping if reusing, but that's just standard stuff.)

ob

Admiral
I'm still in question as to what specific model of 2001 225 is in question. I'm seeing a direct injected one from that year vintage that takes different plugs. It lists Champion QC12PEP.
I see the word Japan stamped on the first plug in the pic. So I'm not aware of any QL78YC plugs made there. Plus the ones in the pic don't appear to be the protruding nose of the QL78YC plug. Maybe they're NGKs. Can't tell . Either way, I'd recommend the correct Champion plug for your engine and not any alternate ones.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Those are NGK BZ7HS-10 are and are incorrect for that motor(equal to QL77J4C)

KB2DEM

Cadet
No Title

Sorry about the pic guys, had to cut the pic down to upload. But the engine is carbureted. Plug on the left looks a little cleaner, with carbon on the insulator. Going to do a compression check and change the plugs. Took the boat out last night and it ran great, no miss at all. I Did do a compression check about 6 hours ago of run time and all cylinders were 115 give or take a few psi. I'll post back with the results.

Thanks for the input
Warren

Attachments

• photo268927.jpg
    photo268927.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Do a spark test as well using an open air tester -- think the expectation is about 7/16" for your motor. This tests the ignition system prior to consideration of plugs.

KB2DEM

Cadet
Ok, compression is 115 per cylinder. Didnt do a spark test like was suggested. Installed correct champion plugs with .03 gap. Gap was probably double that on old plugs. Maybe that was the problem. Will give it a good running sunday and check the plugs. Hopefully that was it.

Thanks for all the help

Warren