70hp evinrude power loss on the water.

sswallace

Cadet
I have a 1987 Evinrude 70hp "E70TLCUR". Just finished rebuild and droppes in a barrel to test. Ran great! Took it out on the lake and it's like the carbs are only opening 1/4 the way at full throttle. I know they are open full but just no power, I could only go 10mph. Would sound and run great if the carbs weren't wide open. Held speed at dile " 2-3 mph" and at wide open "10mph". Starts great with little choke the first time.

Full rebuild,
Carbs rebuilt and floats set to spec
new power pack
New plugs
New plug wires
New "Premium" Gas
"VRO is gone, replaced with standard pump and mixed gas"
New Fuel lines

I ohmed the stator and timing base all was good. Motor is on a 16ft tracker pro deep V.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
When you say rebuild do you mean you split the cases and replaced pistons, rings, sleeved and honed to spec? The full monty??

sswallace

Cadet
Yep! I bought it last spring and I couldn't get it to run decent., Come to find out the guy overheated it and some one attempted taking it apart and oh what a mess!!! It took me longer than it should have but I took my time so i new it was done right. But now Im stumped, like i said it runs and sounds great in the barrel.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What colour are the orange wires going to the coils ----What colour stripe is on the top cylinder , middle and bottom ?

sswallace

Cadet
Had red and the green striped wires backwards. Didn't think it would run that way. I normally stick to 4 stroke engines but find im working on more and more 2 strokes. So im learning the differences!! Working on the timing now, ill post when I get it running.

Thanks for the help, I really should have caught that.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Since the engine was in a sad state when you acquired it, during your rebuild you set the timing and did a link-n-sync?

sswallace

Cadet
I don't have the timing lite. I switched the coil wires to blue-top, red-middle, and green bottom and went trough the entire range of the timer base and it wont even start. I switch the green and red striped and it starts and idles.?? Picking up timing light sun night from a buddy. Not many people still have those things.