2003 90 hp Johnson J50PL4ST engine problems

notsure0

Cadet
2003 Johnson 4 stroke j50pl4st 90 hp starts gets hot then stalls out. Replaced everything. Now looking for a new new switch box. Figured this will solve the problem. Can't figure out the right switch box because someone put a mitsubishi switch box on here. I have part numbers for similar types of engines that might work. #33920-99E80 OR 99E84. Very expensive. Not even sure if this will fix the problem. Can you give me a list of suggestions, maybe I didn't try them all.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It's a Japanese motor so Japanese parts. So is it a 50 or 90 hp motor model # says 50? To find the right parts take the model # and look up it up on Evinrudes website.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by ---" motor gets hot "----Is it overheating ?------Switch box or computer ?

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I know of no switch box on these...When you say repleced everything what does that entail?

Are you looking for help diagnosing and solving your issue or are you just venting?

Ready to start over?

If so please accurately describe what happens and what you have done so far. Any warning tones? Any lights on the system check gauge? We will need the WHOLE STORY. Not just what is convienient to tell.

notsure0

Cadet
Engine starts up. Runs. When it gets hot, shuts off. Doesn't beep, oil warning module is new. Definitely not venting. My dad has had this pontoon sitting in the yard for weeks, he is a boat mechanic. But he is not feeling good just had back surgery, & his normal instincts are not working, needs a little help. Didn't want me to ask the forums because he has macho issues, so didn't want to give me details. He asked me to find him a switch box. He normally has tried everything you guys would normally come up with. It's probably something simple. But when he handed me a mitsubishi control module for this Johnson, and referred to it as a yamaha or a suzuki and hands me a list of part numbers that "might be associated" because he's having trouble finding one under $1,000 online. Before I look up any part to throw his money into, I wanted to come here & see if it could be something else he hasn't thought of.