1966 Johnson Seahorse 40HP RDS-28B Fuel Pump Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin_Bubbles

Cadet
Hello All!

I am currently experiencing what seems to be misfire issues when the Seahorse is under load, and think I have found the issue, but needs some help finding a solution. My current fuel pump is leaking. Like bad. I noticed when I squeeze the bulb on my fuel line, I am getting bubbling off the cap of the fuel pump:

xo3EkNJ.png

See those bubbles? Mhmm. No bueno.

SO. I have been scouring the internet and can't seem to find replacement gaskets for this style of fuel pump. MarineEngine has the circular gasket, but really I would like to find a kit (that seems to be available for every other Johnson fuel pump ever made except this one).

3eJZbIZ.jpg

There is the gasket that is leaky. But since I'm digging around in there I wanted to find a kit to replace everything I could.

N0K9mPZ.png

There is the only part number I can find on this thing in the inner housing.

9xdl72J.png

And there is what comes up on this site. No 1966 40HP.

I figured someone else on this site HAS to have the same fuel pump and has serviced it before. My options at this point are pay $12 for that circular gasket and hope nothing else goes wrong, or cut my own. Which I've never done and could be potentially awful. Any input on this would be appreciated!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
For what it's worth, although the gasket and cap are now vintage..... I have a couple caps and gaskets in my remaining stock. If interested, PM me.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That gap and gasket (with the ear) were only used a few years, then a new design had a round one without the ear. Your eared gasket is part #311202. Better take Joe up on his offer.

Tin_Bubbles

Cadet
That gap and gasket (with the ear) were only used a few years, then a new design had a round one without the ear. Your eared gasket is part #311202. Better take Joe up on his offer.

I found a guy locally who has a dozen or so of them. The chances of that had to be 1:100000.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change it completely? To a separate pulse-system fuel pump?
It would just be nice to have one that wasn't so difficult to find parts for, or that had a rebuild kit available if needed.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No problem finding a new pump that will fit right on there. You will have to re-route the hoses, no big deal. Sierra 18-7351.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put an older pump on there !-----Find one that had the sight glass and filter built right in.----Used on the early 1960's models.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Put an older pump on there !-----Find one that had the sight glass and filter built right in.----Used on the early 1960's models.

Won't that present a problem with the choke heat tube being on that side?

toadshade

Seaman Apprentice
Old thread, but if anyone is looking, I have the same engine with that fuel pump. Tin Bubbles, did that new pump work? What did you end up using? I would buy the Sierra 18-7351 if that solved the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.