96' johnson 200 venom missing model number

Terryfish

Cadet
Hello,
First time here and first time boat owner and in need of a little help.. I bought a boat recently that I need to buy parts for(the motor) and there is absolutely no model number or any other way that I have seen online to help me figure out what model the motor is..title on the motor says it is a 96 Johnson 200 venom.. I'm pulling my hair out because when I call to buy parts they need a model number for the motor and the ways they are telling me to find it are just not there..is there anything about the motor that would indicate a model like a casting number I saw on top of the block ,or a part on it that would indicate a specific model?
thanks,
terry

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
25 or 20 inch mid is the first question. Post some pics.

What parts do you need, many parts go accross models...

Last edited:

Terryfish

Cadet
I need a stator, I've replaced the power pack and plugs but I need a model number to get a stator..the old power pack was original and had a part number on it, the stator does not..I'm attaching a couple of photos of the motor, the boat is in the hanger at work so I'll check the midsection in the morning, what exactly would the midsection tell you? I'll take better pics of the motor in the morning.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Simply out of curiosity, what leads you to believe you need a stator? I assume you have been through the proper trouble shooting so you do not waste $$ changing parts. Quite a few things keep that motor from having spark or charging, whichever your issue may be.

Terryfish

Cadet
Motor ran slow the last time I had it on the water, next time I tried to start it..it wouldn't fire..everything tested good except timer base and stator, pulled the flywheel and the stator had melted pretty good..enough to run down onto the block and timer base and had completely melted over two contacts between stator and the flywheel..flywheel looks good..no chipped or broken magnets, center hub magnet good also..I didn't have time today to measure the midsection or take more photos, I will do that tomorrow..wondering can I find out the model number from the serial number on the motor title?