Counter-rotating engine with standard prop

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, will I do any damage to the lower unit by running the motor in reverse?
I think the prop that the last guy bought is a standard prop, and its on my counter rotating engine.

Either that, or I messed up something in the OMC controls when I changed the cable.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Don't run it until you post a model # so we know what you have.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Some, the result will just be the throttle lever is moved forward for revers and backward for forward.

Some the gears for the reverse direction are not as strong as the forward, expecting the throttle to never be very high in reverse.

ob

Admiral
The model number you provided does indicate that it is a counter rotating 25" shaft alright.
I don't think you can run in reverse to top rpm and timing advance if you did decide to. Why not just get yourself a counter rotating prop?

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
No, you can not do your plan. The reverse gear and bearing assy can not handle it for long

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, just took a look at the prop. Turns out it is a LH prop.
Now I'm confused.
Is the motor Counter rotating?

Is it possible to hook up the controls backwards??

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess the easiest way to figure this out, is should the shift lever in the outboard go up or down for forwards?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If you have a ccw prop just run it as a single. Forward is forward, reverse is reverse. Go boating. If however you plan to run a CCW unit in reverse with a right hand prop, that just won't work for long...