Gear adjustment? Where is my problem? 1998 50 HP Evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear adjustment? Where is my problem? 1998 50 HP Evinrude

Remove the shift cable from the motor. Put the control box in neutral. Then pull and push on the cable and see how much play there is.

TechMouse

Cadet

Remove the shift cable from the motor. Put the control box in neutral. Then pull and push on the cable and see how much play there is.

Are you talking pull and push from the motor end or the control end? If from the motor end I have a little play. How much should I have?

TechMouse

Cadet

I have the Teleflex 479 cable.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How much play is there in inches ??

TechMouse

Cadet

How much play is there in inches ??

I decided to just get a new cable. Its some thing that is inexpensive and will either determine if it is the problem or not. Cross the fingers that it is. I will post when I get it and have it installed.

Thank you all for your help so far.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Good on ya Techmouse,
i put a bit of gasket goo around the bearing carrier when i install so they come out easier next time. But if its not run in salt water i wouldnt bother about that

TechMouse

Cadet

Good on ya Techmouse,
i put a bit of gasket goo around the bearing carrier when i install so they come out easier next time. But if its not run in salt water i wouldnt bother about that

Ok installed the new cable. Same problem. The new cable is smother but the total movement is the same. O well I am going to look into the controller to see if I can rig a way for it to move the cable further.

Thanks for all the posts and I will keep you updated.

TechMouse

Cadet

Wow now see if this rings true to anyone. I looked into my control box and found part # 0390610, it is the shift gear lever. Anyway the plastic behind the last tooth on the forward direction is worn down just enough that when you move to engage is has a moment traction loss. So that explains why some times I could get it in but most of the time it was just out of range of engaging for both directions. It is no longer made so getting one is bear. like $125.00 for an OEM part originally listed as $25.00. I did find that you can modify part # 0387726 to fit. So I did a little digging and found one on Ebay. For a temp fix I think I will get some sand paper and attach it so it will grip and turn. Anyone ever have the same problem?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Does someone know what the shift rod length is on a 1990 evinrude 25hp

That is a random place to post your question. Now we have your post in a zombie thread.

You need to start a new thread with your question in it.

I have heard Crowley Marine has the specs when you look up your motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.