Opinions needed "Caged wrist pin bearings or Non-Caged"

Slateroc24

Cadet
Rebuilding my 60hp Evinrude. My Engine kit came with Caged wrist pin bearings. Should I use the new caged ones or put back in the 21 year old Non-caged bearings?? Motor turns 5500 Max rpms and runs roughly 20-30 hrs a year. Thanks in advance!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Use the newer improved caged ones.

If you've rebuilt a few.... remember when you installed "all" of the connecting rods, then stared at that lone connecting rod needle bearing laying on the work bench!? :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Use as many needles as you can.------Throw out those " budget " caged bearings !!!

Slateroc24

Cadet
Yes 3 Cylinder. 1996 60hp. My heart tells me to put the needles back in, but then again I have to believe everything build now a days more then likely has caged in it so......

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I've removed caged wrist pin bearings from the much older triples, but have never seen new replacements with cages. Every kit I've ever purchased had the loose needles with the two stepped washer spacers.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Install the full set of needles with those stepped washers.---Throw the budget caged bearings away !----Even the 2 cylinder 25 / 30 hp used the same set of needles and stepped washers.----It was an improvement over the caged bearing that they used in the early 1980's

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Rebuilding my 60hp Evinrude. My Engine kit came with Caged wrist pin bearings. Should I use the new caged ones or put back in the 21 year old Non-caged bearings?? Motor turns 5500 Max rpms and runs roughly 20-30 hrs a year. Thanks in advance!!

This engine kit... regardless of from who you ordered it... is it a Bombardier kit or manufactured by a third party?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The " full complement " needle bearing was used on most Johnson / Evinrude motors from 1980 on to today I think.---On 20 hp and up to 200 hp.-It must be the preferred bearing.---Mercury also used a similar full compliment wrist pin bearing.