Johnson 1965 6 HP cowling or hood compatibility.

sluffmeister

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1965 Johnson 6 hp CD-22m outboard but it didn't come with the hood cover. I'm looking at covers on eBay, but am not sure which cowlings will fit my motor. Is there a chart anywhere that will tell me what will fit? I don't really care what the hood says so it could be an Evinrude or even a different HP. I just want to make sure that it fits and will protect my motor from the elements. Thanks for any insight!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, I think you are going to find that 65 Johnson 5 and 6 hp is the only year for a " no modification fit "--------In 66 they changed the latch.

Last edited:

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep, 65 is one year only with the rotating part of the latch on the cover. Best bet might be to find an upper and lower cowl off a 68-77 model. Both parts will need to be from either a Johnson or Evinrude- the Evinrudes have an arch to the seam where the Johnsons are straight. Either would fit your motor as long as both match.

sluffmeister

Recruit
Yikes! Not the answer that I was expecting, but I sure appreciate the knowledge. Sounds like RCO has a good tip to look to OMC 68-77 top and bottom.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am in the process of putting a 1979 .lower and upper cowling and electronic ignition powerhead on a 1965 motor now.