1993 60hp Johnson/Tracker no spark

SeanGold007

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1993 18ft bass Buggy that had been sitting for a couple years. All the seats and console were trash. After rebuilding console and putting back on boat the neutral switch on throttle was not working so I connected the two wires to a toggle switch. Motor will turn over battery is fully charged but no fire plugs are wet. I pulled each plug and attempted to check for spark but nothing. What can I check to find the problem. Lady I bought it from said never had issues and it was winterized when she parked it. I do know on the wire harness to the tilt/trim switch on console there is a brown with white stripe wire that i don't know where it goes i overlooked it when taking console apart. Also the neutral switch was working before I took throttle control out of old console. Could I have a wire not in the right place or is there something else causing no start????

Little Richard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Try disconnecting black and yellow wire at power pack. It goes to your kill switch. If no fire need to buy a DVA adaptor for voltmeter 30.00 and start testing stator,timer base, and power pack. Coil packs could be issue bot what are the odds of them all to go bad at once. Google cdi electronics trouble shooting and it will give you test procedures and specs. You can do some test with out DVA adaptor

SeanGold007

Cadet
I have attached 3 pictures of my motor. I am not sure what is the power pack. I have worked on 9.9's and put in some impellers before on outboards but never did much motor work. Most motor work I've done is on in boards I'm a diesel mechanic by trade.i am trying to upload but haven't figured it out yet

SeanGold007

Cadet
I am having issues trying to upload pics. Not sure that I am looking at power pack . I do see three different yellow wires screwed to a strip on side of motor and I see black wires for ground. Like I said not real familiar with outboards.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If I look for the power pack online for a 93 Johnson 60hp, I get this:

0585145_PowerPack_93_60hp.jpg

If you have something like that on your engine, that's your power pack.
​Maybe post your exact model number? That might help the pro's here.

​I'm pretty new to outboards, but IF that's the powerpack, I don't see how to disconnect the Blk/Yellow..

​Ok, All I offer is the pic.
​The real pro's here can actually help.. LOL..:)

SeanGold007

Cadet
Thx that is what i thought was it and there is no disconnect that I found either.

Model # TJ60TLETD Ser# 03247278

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The only thing I can think of, is if you follow the black/yellow from the power pack, there HAS to be some way to disconnect it. Power pack is replaceable, so...
​Maybe an inline single wire plug on the black/yellow? Some method of disconnecting it...
​That's all I have...
​Will stay in the shadows from now on... LOL

SeanGold007

Cadet
So I disconnected black yellow wire still no spark, then disconnected yellow wires from rectifier still no spark. I also checked key switch and followed black yellow wire all the way back to motor no issues harness in tact all the way. Then following CDI trouble shooting guide checked ohms on brown to brown/yellow wire read 867 then orange to orange black wire read 424 both readings top of specs according to ts guide. Then I checked white to black/white wire and read 676 which is over top end of spec by 176. I have not purchased a DVA yet was hoping to find one locally. Could use all the help available. With the reading on the trigger being over could it be the issue as I was told this motor has fast start and the trigger can cause the problem. Don't want to throw parts at it but for the age being nothing on the ignition is cheap. Is it totally necessary to do test with DVA or is there a easier way of diagnosing.

Little Richard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A DVA adaptor is $30.00 compared to buying ignition parts that cost $100-400. Need to start at stator and test voltage. And work your way forward using cdi test procedures and narrow it down. If stator is putting out proper volatage and trigger is sending proper voltage. More than likely it's power pack issues. Could be coil packs but the odds of them all being bad at once are least likely.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Do not disconnect the rectifier wires they have NOTHING to do with spark. Is the tether connected on the control box? What exactly did you do when you took the control out of the boat? Are you sure you jumped the neutral safety switch and not the tether switch?

SeanGold007

Cadet
Boat doesn't have a tether the switch was in the throttle control/ shifter forward/reverse. I just took control and steering loose from old console and built new console and reinstalled steering and control back on new console. With the wires hooked up to switch motor would not spin and the little switch out of control and it was broke so put wires on a toggle switch cause it looked to be a neutral safety switch so motor wouldn't start in gear. Without a DVA I don't know what else to check. One would think there would be another way to check components. Any help would be well appreciated.

SeanGold007

Cadet
Boat doesn't have a tether the switch was in the throttle control/ shifter forward/reverse. I just took control and steering loose from old console and built new console and reinstalled steering and control back on new console. With the wires hooked up to switch motor would not spin and the little switch out of control and it was broke so put wires on a toggle switch cause it looked to be a neutral safety switch so motor wouldn't start in gear. Without a DVA I don't know what else to check. One would think there would be another way to check components. Any help would be well appreciated.

Little Richard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well put your volt meter one the wires coming from stator to power pack and see if it's producing voltage. It won't be accurate but I guess it will tell you if your getting something. Should be 150-400volts. Check and see voltage between each set of trigger wires. I think it should be between 0.6-1.6v. Try checking voltage from each wire coming from power pack going to coil packs. With one one wire and other on ground. Do not disconnect coil packs. They are taking the load off power pack. Idk if you can even get any readings worthwhile cause voltage fluctuates

Little Richard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Voltage going to coil pack should be 150-400v. You really need the DVA it measures peak voltage

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I think you need to take a step back...

When someone builds a new helm, and then thinks to bypass a neutral safety switch with a ?? Toggle switch?? and then needs to ask help, well then they probably do not need a stator. They probably need an assistant or a wiring diagram or something. Stator is unlikely at this point. I have been wrenching on these for years and years and I can count on one hand the number of neutral safety switches I have changed.

SeanGold007

Cadet
If I could find another switch that goes in throttle control I would use it can't find one. Not sure that it is a neutral switch but location of switch inside of throttle housing that is why I'm calling it that. It has two yellow wires going to it marked wires where they went when taking console apart and put them back where they were when reinstalled console. Motor would turn over before new console but not after. All wiring put back exactly where it was. Took these wires and switched them on the little black switch and nothing moved throttle around and nothing. Touched wires together and motor would turn over. Might not be calling it the right thing but it is the only wires I had any issues with. I took the little black switch out of control and it was cracked and the small button on it was almost out of the little black box that holds it.

SeanGold007

Cadet
No Title

I found a switch this morning and ordered it. But from diagrams that I have looked at it seems to close circuit so starter will engage. Diagrams show one side of switch goes to key switch other side goes to starter solenoid.

Attachments

• photo268836.jpg
    photo268836.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I found a switch this morning and ordered it. But from diagrams that I have looked at it seems to close circuit so starter will engage. Diagrams show one side of switch goes to key switch other side goes to starter solenoid.

Thats how they work, your on the right path...