1979 evinrude 35 idle problems

T0mmyboy

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently got a 35 horse evinrude electric start only model for my little Crestliner. After hooking up all the controls I proceeded to fire it up. It fires right up with the push choke, and will stay running if I throttle it up, but will quit if I try to let it idle. I think maybe the idle is set too low? Is the idle speed adjustment on the side of the motor, on the throttle cable where it attaches to the engine, or is is that plastic screw at the base of the cable?

Thanks for the help

fireman57

Captain
If you don't know the last time the carbs were cleaned I would try that first. Don't just spray stuff in them as that will not work. They are pretty straightforward to do. Take them off, take them apart, and have a look. Make sure you clean all the passages with a fine wire. I use the wire from a twist tie to fun through and make sure they are clear. Spray with some good carb cleaner and blow them out with compressed air. Sounds like your idle jets are clogged.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That plastic screw you reference (base of the cable) is the throttle idle adjustment screw -- sometimes called a throttle stop. I think the other screw you mention is probably the remote cable adjustment wheel -- should detach the remote cable and set the throttle screw for the minimum idle you want, then replace the cable to match the engine throttle setting. Adjust the plastic wheel on the cable as appropriate to match the motor setting.

Motor should idle low enough for shifting (no jarring). If you can't do that, something else is going on (e.g., carb or compression, as noted, or ignition.)

T0mmyboy

Cadet
Roger, thanks guys. I got a compression tester, so I will start with that. What kind of compression should I be getting? If compression is good then it has to be the carb, as it runs, but juat doesn't idle.

The guy I got it from showed me a video of it running and he supposedly took off the carb to clean it. But after I got it, it was laying in the back of my SUV for a while. Maybe something got clogged.

Thanks for the help