35 hp evinrude lark long shaft to short shaft how do i do it

scot

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1956 or 57 evinrude lark 35 hp with long shaft and want to go to a short shaft . how do i do it? what parts do i need and where can i find them. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ohio stan

Cadet
Look for another motor that is short shaft and swap parts. You will have to swap the drive shaft and cut off the water tube(tubes some have 2 tubes) and shorten(swap) shift rod

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
First get clear about what you have so you know your options (and what to look for in a sister motor). If it's a 35, it's not a '56 -- but likely can use either '57 or '58 35 hp parts. These motors used 5 inch housing extensions bolted into place. You also may have a five inch brass connecter for the upper and lower shift rods -- means you would simply substitute the smaller connector to get a shorted shift shaft.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A warning regarding the 1958 35hp, there were two totally different designs of the 35hp in 1958 and a lot of parts are not swappable.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Scot, please keep the discussion about your motor swap to short shaft in the open forum. That way it benefits others and makes it easier to help along the way knowing whats already been discussed.

Thanks

I removed your email address. Good luck w the swap.