1993 Evinrude 200 makes a grinding when shifting into reverse

captainmugs

Cadet
I have a 1993 Evinrude 200 and when I try to shift into reverse it makes a grinding noise and won't engage . Shifts in the forward perfectly with no fuss and up until recently operated in all gears perfectly with no fuss. Is this the clutch dog wearing out possibly?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you tend to "slide" the shifter into either forward OR reverse you are creating a problem. Shift with authority. There is no need to let the chattering happen. But a misadjusted shift cable can be cause. Disconnect it at the engine and see if shifting becomes normal. If so, adjust the cable.

captainmugs

Cadet
I adjusted the shift cable as far as it goes and it still just makes the chattering/grinding noise and doesn't go into reverse. This problem just started recently it has always gone in and out of reverse without problem until very recently.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Tear it down and have a look see if you can not successfully shift by hand with cable unhooked.

Did you do a impeller right before the issue started?

captainmugs

Cadet
No but I have a new water pump kit on hand so i'll remove the lower unit and install a new water pump and see if it ships better once the unit is off

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I adjusted the shift cable as far as it goes and it still just makes the chattering/grinding noise and doesn't go into reverse. This problem just started recently it has always gone in and out of reverse without problem until very recently.

But did you try operating it at the engine, with the remote cable removed? (posts #2 and #4) Need to determine whether it's an issue with the engine or with the remote cables/box.

captainmugs

Cadet
I haven't tried operating with the cable removed but I definitely will. So to be clear I should disconnect the shift cable, start the engine and try to cycle it in and out of reverse,neutral and forward and if it shifts without problems then I have an issue with the cable or control box and if it's still acting up the problem is in the gear case or shift rod adjustment?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
And sooner rather than later. Grinding leads to metal bits in the gearcase. Metal bits in the gearcase leads to....