1990 Evinrude power pack

Crabby520

Recruit
Hello all,

I am new to this form. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to trace a problem of no power to the coils. Can anyone explain how to check power the proper way coming out of the power pack to see if that is my issue or should I check something else??? Thanks in advance

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, CDI Electronics has a great troubleshooting guide on their website.
​Generic thoughts would be to disconnect the black/yellow at the power pack and see if you have spark then. If so, then it's probably something in the ignition switch or the MOB lanyard switch.. But, I'm new to outboards, and without knowing exactly what engine you have (besides a 1990 Evinrude), Not even sure if that applies to your engine...

Maybe take a look at that troubleshooting guide on CDI's website, and see if that helps..

​For what it's worth..

Crabby520

Recruit
Thanks jbuote,

I will check that in the a.m.. Sorry I forgot to put in the original post it's a 70hp vro.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
The old CDI are know to biodegrades and fail in weird ways. If suspect then don't spend days pondering about it just swap it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
What hp and model number do you have, and what troubleshooting or testing have you done? (Could be an issue with the kill switch, for example.)