Bad Motor?

CA Hunter

Cadet
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Picked up this motor from a guy who decided to go for 4 stroke.[/FONT]
It is 25 Johnson 1992.
The motor was a kicker and occasional trolling.
After initial carb cleaning, all necessary adjustments it starts right on the 1st or second starter touch. No problems here.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]But here is the issue, opened the lower to change the impeller and here what i found. Is it a sight of a blown motor or it just accumulated because he never ran it at WOT. I know it for sure because the starter cable was holding the throttle lever not allowing it to move more than 50%.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]What do you think is the problem if at all?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately the system does not allow me to post attachments/pictures,

Last edited by a moderator:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It sounds offhand like you might be trying to advance the throttle with the motor in neutral (has to be in gear to fully open the throttle). It sounds as if it's starting and running well, and I don't think I would be concerned about the exhaust nasties in the leg. That stuff should clear with use.

164F is too hot -- presumably why you are changing out the impeller. Check the t.stat as well, as salt water motors need t.stat attention more often.

CA Hunter

Cadet
Pix posting help
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum...pload-tutorial

Avoid posting redirct links in the 1st initial post of a topic and remember Iboats is an online retailer when posting. Thank you

The issue is this "new forum members must make 3 posts to the forum before they can upload photos" and it was my firs post, sorry guys.
BTW, after more than 3 posts i'm still not allowed to post pictures.

Last edited:

CA Hunter

Cadet
The t.stat and the t.switch are already in order. The impeller i always check does not patter what the previous owner told me. It is cheap and easy insurance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The t.stat and the t.switch are already in order. The impeller i always check does not patter what the previous owner told me. It is cheap and easy insurance.

I haven't seen any picture thus far, but how can it be a BAD MOTOR when it cranks so easy and run nice? If there were any serious issues, I would think it would not do either of those things. JMHO

CA Hunter

Cadet
Finally was able to upload pix. Sorry guys. Just trying to figure out if i should continue to invest in this motor.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Doesn't look like anything wrong with it. Thats how they look if they have been idling on muffs or used for trolling.

CA Hunter

Cadet
Thanks guys, very encouraging, considering the guy sold it to me for $50 and also gave me 25 Gal of mixed gas :)
Now i ordered parts for $65 . not bad of a deal

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think for testing and getting it up and running, I would use fresh gas with my own 50:1 mix.

CA Hunter

Cadet
Great, thank you guys. ordered all the parts. As soon as they arrive i'll assemble the motor and run at WOT for 10-15 miles, hope it cleans it. Some suggested to use seafoam, Kreen, Yamaha and mercury cleaners. I'll give them a try also.,

CA Hunter

Cadet
New problem!!!
OK, installed a new impeller, new t.stat with all new gaskets..
The motor started on the first crank. Up to 135F it ran smooth with super strong tale tale stream.
At 135F it became weaker where at 155F it almost completely stopped and the temp were going up rapidly. At 185 i turned the motor off. What can it be?

I'm sure i installed everything correctly. It is not my first time i install impeller and t.stat.

Any thoughts?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
sounds like some corrosion in the water passages. Might pull off the gearcase, and move some water manually up the water tube with a hose (low to med pressure) -- need to rig some kind of fitting. If you can't get a good flow, would need to pull off the head and clean the passages, likely scraping out salt deposits. Recheck impeller assembly, and make sure there are no intake blockages. Test in a barrel when ready to go, not on muffs.