SPARKING OUTSIDE OF SPARK PLUG

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'M WORKING ON A '75 EVINRUDE 9.9, IT has sat in a garage several years, First thing done was to make sure it was'nt locked up. getting good compression, pulled plugs they were clean as a whistle . hooked up to gas and on third pull she purred like a kitten.but time and weather never worked out to get in in the water. took time to rewire boat and add a few lights, got new gas with 50-1 mix ran about 5 minutes and shut off and no restart ,turned out mainly BAD GAS, PUT new carb kit in (old had cork float) and attempted to start . get about 10 sec run an die, idle mix at 1 1/2 turns out would turn over a few sec and die. thinking elect prob, looking at coils , both were cracking, so decided to change both coils and points and condensers . got parts today and did swap out, cleaning all contact points thoroughly. Got it to sputter but no go. checked all connection wee good , now that it dark and still scratching my head attempted to try a few more times with an extra set of eyes.noticed that THE SPARK PLUGS WERE SPARKING ON THE OUT SIDE OF THE PLUGS (FROM THE TIP OF THE BOOT).:confused: ??????????? Has anyone else come across this issue :rant:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Just had one on an 18 -- cracked boot in my case.

Depending on what you mean my bad gas, may need to open up the carb and clean it out. That initial mix setting is just to get the engine running, then is fine tuned. On my 9.9s the running setting is more like 1 turn open, as I recall. Before doing additional carb work, I would try adjusting the setting -- try leaner (rpms should increase -- engine popping/stalling would be too lean.) On my '83, I set the adjustment a quarter turn richer for cold starting and warmup, then return to the regular setting.

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
BAD GAS (water) but my main question is why am i seeing SPARK out side of the plug from the boot????
, new coils , points and condencers rebuilt carb and new fuel

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Could be cracked porcelain (plug). Maybe moisture in the boot. Check coil grounds.

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:fish2: FIGURED IT OUT. NOTICED THAT SEVERAL COILS I LOOKED AT ON LINE didnt have the plug clip and boot installed, .and come to find out my new boots and clips were just stuck on to the wire, saw video about trimming back insulation and spreading out the wire, then install the clip onto the wire so that the spread wire was all the way up against the clip then push the pin part of the clip into the insulation then into the boot,
then said a little prayer :angel:. and began to pull, pull 1 chug chug, adjusted idle some, pull 2 spit spit sputter, a little more idle adjust , pushed choke in AND ON PULL 3 SHE PURRED LIKE A KITTEN :hail:

THANKS FOR THE HELP

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:facepalm: LOL spit sputter and purr didnt last too long, noticed it still sparking outside plug. last thing to change, went and got 2 NKGB7HS plugs .started on first pull of cord, ran it in water bucket for about 10 minutes shut off ,let set about an hour . go back and fires right up on first pull. could not see any damage of replaced plugs (CHAMPION L81C ):faint2:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
L86C gapped at .030? (Pretty sure L81C was used in the 15hp.) NGK B6HS would be equivalent to L86C -- not sure of gap.