Power pack not grounding.

Nhayes0027

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1972 johnson 50hp 2 cylinder out board. After reading endless forums and a few light test I decided to replace the power pack. I now have an issue of when I completely bolt and ground the power pack, I get 0 fire. How ever, if I scrape the ground wire it fires every time and gets tons of spark (accidental finding) obviously I can't contnuously hold the ground wire scraping it on a boat there for does any one have an answer or solution to this issue? The wires in and out of the power pack have all been scraped / replaced to ensure proper connection.

Nhayes0027

Cadet
Also the two main grounds i found coming from the battery have been cleaned to working order as well.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
What you are doing by scraping the ground wire is cresting a make/break scenario similar to having points make and break. This normally indicates that the powerpack is grounding out some other circuit that it should not be.

Connect the ground wire as it properly should be.

Disconnect the wire that lead from the powerpack to the ignition switch normally raised "M" terminal. Normally this would be a black/yellow wire. Now, remove the spark plugs and test for spark that should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

If you now have spark, either that wire is shorted out to ground somewhere OR the ignition switch has failed.

If still no spark, take a ohm reading of the timing sensor under the flywheel. Does that coincide with your service manual? What was the reading?

Let us know what you find.

Nhayes0027

Cadet
After removing both the stator and timing sensor, I've found 0 voltage going to either with a standard ohm reading. The stator seems to have leakage like a glue substance coming from one of the coils. At this point I am beginning to think it would be cheaper and more efficient to simply find a new motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The ignition is self contained, meaning that there should be NO DC VOLTAGE applied to any portion of the ignition components. The beginning of the ignition system, as well as the charging system is the STATOR... and from your description of the stator's condition, the stator requires replacing.