Evinrude 9.5 - 9 1/2 carb / ignition issues

F.Graham

Cadet
ok all you small engine GooRoos I have a Evinrude 9.5 I have rebuilt the carb cleaned it exceptionally well. I have completely replaced every part to the ignition from the plugs all the way up everything except the plate I mean everything that screws to it....now the issue.

arts and runs with a sevier miss or back fire or spit sputter what ever you want to call it. I see a lot of people with the same issue . if I replaced everything mentioned....what else could it be float adjustment? I checked it but guess it could be off????

I'm guessing it is a 72

model # 9723 M

​SN# E01325

​please help really frustrated cause I know its something easy/stupid

Rom 5:8

​But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the throttle is opening to early.-----Look into synchronizing throttle and spark.-----Guessing at the year ?=======I think it is a 1967 model.

F.Graham

Cadet
Any advice on where to find the procedure for doing this properly? Think I have an idea but then again thought I had an idea when I replaced everything from the fuel to the ignition.lol thanks for your advice.

F.Graham

Cadet
OK not the issue... runs somewhat fine at high RPM when I shut off the choke it dies, New fuel pump & carb rebuild, and all spark components still a miss/backfire/ sputter just like in all the videos on YouTube there is absolutely nothing to this motor but fuel and spark why is it such a hard problem to figure out?????

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey Graham,
​I'm an admitted newbie to outboards, so for what it's worth...
​If it's dying when you turn the choke off, it sounds like it's starving for fuel.. (Running too lean)..

​You also said:
there is absolutely nothing to this motor but fuel and spark why is it such a hard problem to figure out?????

The third part of that is compression.,...
​Have you done a compression test? What was the compression on that engine?

​Again, I'm new, but thought I'd throw that out there,
​I'm guessing posting your compression results and spark gap test results will aid the real pro's here on what might be going on with your engine....

F.Graham

Cadet
Yes everything on this Motor is New fuel and spark as previously posted. spark will jump a gap as big as you want. as far as compression it is a strong motor runs well in gear somewhat forward and reverse I thought starving for fuel also too but iv done everything by the book on setting the float what else would make it starve for fuel I added a fuel filter and can see the fuel in it level never changes any advise would be awesome thanks for your reply...and I set the lean setting like recommended

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a fixed high speed jet.----It is found in behind the drain screw on the float bowl.----Was it removed for cleaning , yes or no ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you made adjustments on the low speed mixture after it had been started ??---------Or just left it at the " recommended " setting.------Checked thermostat ?

F.Graham

Cadet
Yes made adjustments running, it changes but severe hiccup doesn't go away. and thermostat operate properly water/exhaust dosnt come out until motor worms up no more than a few seconds?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the thermostat in place on this 1967 model motor. ?-------Have you looked at it and tested it ??------And it takes more than " a few seconds " for motor to warm up !!

F.Graham

Cadet
I haven't timed it but from the research I have done the time it takes to start spitting water is the same as. All the ones Iv seen. What would the thermostat have to do with my issue. I do not think that is the problem. And am not looking to spend anymore money to find out. everything I have put into it didn't fix my inicial problem. Coils, condinsers, points,plugs,plug wires,fuel pump, carb rebuild I checked the thermostat operation again same as the videos time wise. Just curious but has can a thermostat efect/create a massive hiccup?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
The carbs on those 9.5's are very sensitive to any dirt/varnish. Are you absolutely certain the high speed orifice is clean? Did you remove the Welsh plugs? Only running with the choke points to the carb. You may have other issues, but you need to tear into the carb again before anything else.

F.Graham

Cadet
Yes Welsh plugs replaced everything behind them clean no varnish anywhere in or on the carb the carb kit is was the only one I ordered and do not have any more Welsh plugs to replace the new ones Iv already replaced. I've had it apart 3 times cleaning it all 3 times nothing changes.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You could bring your motor over all in pieces and I could put it together , no manual required.-------I often find the thermostats missing or stuck open.-----A cold motor does not vapourize fuel properly and will not run smooth.---------I thinks throttle is open too early.

F.Graham

Cadet
I can't set it any other way than directed the carb is set to the only Mark I can find on the armature plate right at the inclin to throttle up just as described in the article. If u lived in Tennessee I'd let u have it just cause Iv wasted enough time on it and need it fixed don't know or trust anyone around here to not charge more than its worth to fix it and I'm already half way there.

F.Graham

Cadet
Ok guys was just fixing to tilt the motor to get a better angle on the thermostat and noticed gas run out of one of the led shot wholes should this cause a vacume leak to cast it to sneeze please tell me yes????