What CARBS do I have? CF 135 hp Frankenmotor.

RabboJens

Cadet
Discvered a to me "new" set of carbs with adjustable low jets and 56C main jets, are they comparable with later 70 carbs?

Checked the parts lists and they appear in 1970 115 hp at least, I was confused because my motor is a 1975 135hp and should not have the adjustable low jets. The main jets were some 56C and the ones in my other 135 set is 61C. Will i be risking lean mixture running these carbs or just loose a little power.

The powerhead itself looks to be a post 77 bubbleback so it?s probobly a prop rated 115 or shaft 140 and should have bigger jets.

I?m thinking to test reun with the set on since it does apparently run good with them and if performance is low I?ll swap.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
you mention 115, a 135, then you jump to a supposed post 77 engine of unknown hp. Just what in the world are you trying to do, on what, and why?

RabboJens

Cadet
In my garage I have 3 engines a 76 135hp with trim and tilt, a 75 135hp (this turned out false) and most of a 73 85hp. I live in sweden and it?s hard to stumble on any 70s engines not completely spent so parts are scarce.

I?m trying to get the 76 135hp running but opted to buy a spare 75 135hp engine that was running but with a bad gearcase. When I took a closer look I saw the powerhead was of a newer kind and was bolted to the exhaust adapter with one bolt on each side missing since they dont line up. It also turned out to have bent watertubes so I had to tear everything apart. I checked the alignment of exhaust and water passages between the newer and older powerhead and they line up fine except the two bolts. I also spoke to my local dealer that has building these engines for ages and he said it?s no big deal if the two bolts are left out which is what I would have concluded to, of course I realize if it seizes on me anyone can tell me I told you so but I?m taking my chances and putting it back together.

As for the carbs I was gonna clean and check the carbs on the spare engine I?m using and quickly realized they where of yet another kind I hadn?t seen before with adjustable needles. I can see that the carbs have the same body and the dropping of the valves for later year models is just a development, BUT I just feelt there was yet another weird thing about this motor that I thought to be a genuine 75 135hp and that looks to be made from whatever was lying on the shelf.

I just wondered since I have no manual mentioning how to tune these carbs if I need to think of anything special with separate low speed jetting?

Also the mains looked at 56C to be small compared to my genuine 135hp carbs that has all fixed jets and 61C mains and made me think the carbs might come from a lover hp engine. I dont need peak hp at all I?m happy with a good running one but I?m curious.

I tried to guess what yearmodel and hp engine these carbs came from so I could understand best the "bastard" engine I?m hoping to run so I can diagnose any funnies. The engine ran before dissasembly and looks to be well built, compression was superb, .020 overbore and nice cylinders, no signs of overheat. Waterpump is overhauled, thermostat and new gaskets, water deflectors in good shape.

This will be my gamble to get some kind of spare engine for the season while I?m rebuilding my original powerhead so I?m well aware that the experiment might turn out bad but as long as there?s no leaks between adapter and powerhead and the carbs doesn?t add any trouble I should be fine.

That?s not the whole story but the most of it, any input? Who?s betting on a burned piston, blown gasket or perhaps 45 knots hour after hour? I?ll post whatever the results pretty soon I hope.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Carb bodies look the same but venture size is the difference.....

RabboJens

Cadet
Yes I was gonna pull the plate off and check the venturi sizes but two of the needle valves had been wired together with metal wire apparently to keep them from changing settings. I need to cut the wire to remove the plate.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
They should be stamped/cast with throat size in square area left of right needle.
carb1.jpg

RabboJens

Cadet
I test ran the engine yesterday and it performed well, there?s a dead zone and the engine hesitates to get out of the hole but suddenly it just kicks you back in the seat and it jumps up instatly.
I checked the forum for a guide on adjusting the needle valves and found some so maybe I?ll get that transition smoothed out. Also the engine is a real mix since an 80s bubbleback sits on a early 70s midsection and gearcase plus I?m running these carbs. I have no idea where all this puts me in hp, compression was 130-125 ish allaround and cyl are bored 020. Im curious to se what a swap to my 76 135hp carbs would do for engine performance.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Somehow I have the feeling your curiosity will have you trying the 135 carbs soon enough

RabboJens

Cadet
I?ll se if I can get hold of those retainers for the valves and get the carbs tuned right. Now it cuts out if idling to long, plugs getting soaked.