71 Johnson 50 hp

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
jimmbo : Thanks for checking out the vid!!

I did sync the carbs (to each other and then link & sync)...
​I'll check that again though just to be sure.. Thanks!!

Yeah, it ran slower than that before I changed the coil. Put new coil on and now it runs faster..
I guess a new coil will do that when it's operating correctly huh? LOL :laugh:

I know the rpm will drop when in the lake with backpressure so I didn't want to mess with the idle too much on muffs.. Want to do that on the lake..
​But it didn't sound like it's misfiring to you?

The colors are interesting aren't they? In looking around, I see the midsection and lower should be green, but it's white. Then the pan is green, and the clamp holding the controls and wiring is white.. haha..

​I know the PO had 2 of these.. a 71 and a 72. He "Said" he hit a rock with one so lower was shot, and the other lost compression so he cobbled them together to make 1 working one. (well tried anyway.. he never got it running before I bought it... lol)

He advertised it as a 1972 50 HP when he was selling the boat,
but the transom bracket model/serial plate says it's a 50ESL71. so for all reasonable purposes I'm going with that plate and calling it a 71..

​If I'm not mistaken, the 71 and the 72 are virtually identical right?

​Now the hood I have says it's a 50th Anniversary edition (72), ​Only noticed that after I bought it..

​I don't know which parts got swapped to which, so it could be the 72 was put on the 71 transom bracket, or the power head and lower from 72 were put on the 71 etc..... Maybe the only 50th Anniversary Authentic part on it is the hood... I dunno... lol..

​Thinking someone in it's previous ownership chain painted it though.. LOL

I appreciate the input!! :D

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got to Lake test today...
New prop made a huge difference!

Had some speed this time.. made a few runs fine tuning each time..

Anyway, after adjusting mixtures and idle, was finally ready for last run of day.

Going great!! About to plane and BAM!
engine dropped to about idle while control still almost wide open..
Thought throttle cable slipped or something, but was getting dark so pulled it out and went home..
Quick glance at home revealed the clamp between the 2 throttle plate controls fell apart...
Only bottom carb was opening. Top stayed closed..

So, fixing that next, then full link & sync again..
Than back to the lake next chance I get..
Whenever that is... LOL!!!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, another update..
Fixed that linkage, and did a fresh link & sync..
​Took it to the lake, and redid the mixtures, and idle.. Checked wot timing while underway this time, and it was about 5? off, so I set it where it should be...
She now runs great, idles well, and we took it for run around the lake and some fishing!! LOL..

Worked like a CHARM!
​Man it was a BLAST!!!

​Was hoping to take it out for another run, but that last trip back, Lost a bearing on the trailer wheel..
​That's another post I have going, but I'm basically beached until I get the trailer fixed..

​Anyway,
​Just figured I'd close out this thread as the engine is actually working QUITE well, and runs beautiful!!

​Many many many thanks to all of you who have helped me out with this engine over the past year!!

Your thoughts and guidance have been invaluable!!

​Cheers to you all!!