1977 55hp Johnson Model 55EL77D Lower Unit removal

aserioushunter

Recruit
I have about removed what hair I have left trying to restore this motor. I can't find anywhere, how to release the shift rod. I can't see a coupler at the bottom when I drop the lower unit by 1/2". Some I have seen the shift rod is released by a bolt on the right side of the motor, on top. I'm trying to replace the impeller since this motor has no water stream to tell if water pump is working. It has set for years, starts, but doesn't want to idle. I think it is an intake leak, but before I do that I want to be sure impeller is changed first. Most videos say to remove lower unit, and that is it. Any help would be appreciated.

8928hpj

Cadet
Up at the top of the shaft there should be a little plate with two screws in it just under the cowling on the shaft. If you take that plate off there should be a shift link behind that plate.
You should be able to disconnect it there. That's how my Johnson is set up it could be different for yours though.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No, NO and again no----------You remove the starter motor and the shift pin is right there in front of your eyes !