1972 Evinrude Fisherman 6hp can't idle

Traemill1002

Recruit
Hey all! So I recently bought a 1972 Evinrude fisherman (6hp) on the cheap, and I runs great when the throttle is set between "start" and "fast". Even starts on one pull when cold. But as I turn the throttle closer to "start" it putters and dies.

I've already done a decarb and spray carb clean as well as change the spark plugs. It smokes like crazy too, even after fiddling with the rich/lean knob.

Just hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what to try. I've read all of leeroys ramblings, but this is my first outboard to diagnose.

Thanks so much,
Trae

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
You still have a carb issue in my opinion. smaller engine jets gum up faster. spray cleaner is great but sometimes varnish deposits require long term soaking. some stubborn carbs I have rebuilt as much as three times before I have got them right. did you remove and clean jets or just spray clean. check idle air screws for deposits. polish all parts clean. hope this helps you. drain carb before storage run gas out of engine unless it is efi

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
For carb adjustment: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...eeves?t=167352

For cleaning and rebuilding, an OMC/BRP kit is a good idea with a float (and likely instructions.) Disassemble and soak top and bottom in cleaner, then finish with carb cleaner (can) using plastic nozzle in all openings.

[Edit. Special attention to the idle passages up at the top. Remove the domed cap before soaking, and blow out small holes up there. Replace cap (expansion cap) with one in the kit.]

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Sounds like you just bought this, threw it on a boat, and crossed your fingers.

Why not troubleshoot systematically?
1) Check compression ....with a gauge, not your thumb. :)
2) Check spark with a proper open-air tester. Spark should jump a 1/4" gap.

Those tests should take LT 15 minutes.
If results are OK, you can move on to the fuel; system.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Good advice from all above. But dont worry too much about the start and fast that is written on the tiller because it is probably not accurate. And if the motor does not have a kill switch. Which I believe it does not. Then it would be normal for the motor to die if throttled down too far. Just some thoughts.