87 Evinrude 70hp lost spark with new power pack. Ideas???

sswallace

Cadet
I bought a 1987 Evinrude 70hp vro last spring. Got it and the water pump was shot and the fuel pump wasn't working so I replaced the pump and the vro pump with a standard pump "not vro" Ran ok after that lost power when it got warmed up and didn't want to stay running. So I was inspecting and the power head and someone had taken it apart and near as I can tell they had no clue what they were doing so I tore the whole thing down this spring and reringed it with a "FULL" set of gaskets. It would start and run a few seconds and die, if I crack the carbs open a bit and play with the choke it will stay running. I checked the fuel lines, pump and rebuilt the choke and no difference. I thought maybe im not getting enough spark so I ordered a new power pack and lost spark all together. Got a replacement pack thinking I was unlucky enough to get a new one that was bad but the second one still gave me no spark. all this and the old pack will give me spark.

I have checked everything I can think of and im out of ideas. If this were a V8 Ide have it running long time ago but 2 strokes I just don't have enough experience with I guess. If anyone has an idea im all ears

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cdi electronics has a trouble shooting section for outboards that may help . Good luck