1979 evinrude 55hp timing & bringing out of storage

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
Alright guys I've only timed my 1988 35hp evinrude using the joe reeves method I am going to do this with the 1979 55hp but I do not know the timing number for this motor nor do I know if it has timing advance does anyone know it off the top of your head?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
According to my manual, a 1979 Evinrude 55 hp has "Timing at WOT" = 19 degrees.
​WOT RPM = 5500

Hope that helps...

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you bud your a life saver I know I have to adjust it to 4 degrees below that to achieve the joe reveres method. Do you know if this motor has timing advance on start up? I just purchased this motor to put on my pontoon and would like to comb through it before I put it on the previous owner said it has sat up for a year I have cranked it with ear muffs but haven't sat it in a tank yet seems like a pretty solid motor I honestly believe it has been rebuilt the power head is red and that'd usually not the factory color

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm still new to outboards in general. Just got my 71 Johnson 50hp running.
​Not quite sure I know the answer to your question, and I don't want to guess and give you wrong info.
​I THINK, the only advance on startup, would be if you have the start lever on the remote, and that would advance the timing on startup, but again.
​I really don't know if that is what you're asking or not, so rely on other folks here for that.

​Glad I could help with the specs from my manual, but I dare not advise further than that...
​Sorry..

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Is there a reason that you need to mess with the timing?

Have you already messed with it?
If not, it probably ain't broke.... yet. :)

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
Yes the linkages were all off and someone has messed with it so the timing has to be checked

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
New impeller would be a first priority, particularly if throttling up. Can wait to see if it can be timed, but can't wait to see if it's going to overheat.

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
It's pumping water properly I am still going to replace the water pump and thermostat it's pumping water fine when I backed my boat in the river to test fire it up I ran it around 15 minutes and the motor seemed to be running a little hot even though it was pumping water really good and the linkages were off and the wheel that keeps it in time with the throttle was off and the screw to adjust the timing at idle was missing I replaced the screw but I need to make sure it's in time