1987 Johnson 28 Horsepower Controls Hook Up

Jay Krahn

Recruit
Hi Gentlemen, I recently bought a 1987 Johnson 28 Horse Outboard. I got a pretty good deal on it. It came with all the Controls and plenty of Extras. i am at the point where the Motor is Mounted. All the Controls are almost hooked Up. There are 2 Plugs on the wiring harness coming form the forward Control Box. The Big Plug is red in color. There is no Question where it goes to the back of the Motor. line up the arrows and it's together. The smaller plug I am told is the Tachometer Plug goes to the CDI Box. My Question is where does it Plug in at? The only available Plug Location is already in use. I can get some Pictures if You need them. Thanks for your time.

Jay..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post those pictures.----What colours are the wires on the smaller plug ?-----I am thinking that smaller plug is for trim / tilt.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That is likely the plug for power trim -- not the tach. There is a three terminal receptacle just below the key on the control box for the tach connection. If your engine does not have power trim that plug would not be used.

Jay Krahn

Recruit
Thanks for your help on this. I am having Trouble trying to post a Picture so i will try to explain the wires in this plug.. There are 5 Wires. Red, Blue, white, Green and Black. The plug is about 3/4" in Diameter and Flat on one side as to make it simpler to match up.Thanks for your help...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for your help on this. I am having Trouble trying to post a Picture so i will try to explain the wires in this plug.. There are 5 Wires. Red, Blue, white, Green and Black. The plug is about 3/4" in Diameter and Flat on one side as to make it simpler to match up.Thanks for your help...
Those are tilt and trim wires.

Jay Krahn

Recruit
Thanks for your help with this. Now that i know what the plug is, can you tell me where it Plugs in at? is it on the motor itself? There is Tilt and trim on the Outboard. I cannot find a place for it on the outboard.

Jay Krahn

Recruit
No Title

Attachments

• photo266445.jpg
    photo266445.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266446.jpg
    photo266446.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266447.jpg
    photo266447.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Not likely to be power trim on a 28SPL. Do the controls have a button for UP/DOWN on the side of the throttle/shift handle? If so, it was used with a motor with power trim at one time. Plug in the red plug and hit the water...