1991 Evinrude 200 thermostat housings info

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bought a used boat and motor. Motor looks fine, decent compression, but the thermostat housings were taken off.

Can someone tell me where the hoses that come out of the housings are supposed to be routed?

Pictures would be awesome.

its a e200cxebi 2 stroke.

Thanks in advance.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey there.... I'll start by telling you that I am NOT an expert.. You're question had me curious, so I started looking things up.. According to any diagrams I can find, and they aren't very clear, it looks like there is just a hose connecting the 2 thermostat housings together. I can only imagine that as a possibility if the idea was to open both thermostats if one side opens.. (Un-even head temps..)

Again... NOT an expert, more of a curious bystander and looking to learn myself..
I know others will know for sure, but just a thought to start with.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that model number you gave indicates a counter-rotation model..
Not sure if it's just the gear-case, but it would seem you'll need to keep an eye out for that tidbit.
Are you getting parts for standard rotation, or counter-rotation...
That's a new one on me, so I don't have any more info on that...

Again, Others will know for sure....
Going to follow along and maybe learn a thing or 2 if you don't mind! LOL

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That motor should have the water vale that's hooked to throttle that opens t-stat. Post a pic of motor...

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info on the counter-rotation jbuote! The waterpump impeller has 2 types, so thats pretty damn important.
And I'm sure it would have messed me right up when I was looking at spark order and engine rotation.

Faztbullet - When I got it, both thermostats were out and one housing is missing. Really not sure why the guy took them off.
Its possible those are vacuum lines.. That makes a lot of sense by the way the thermostats look. But I have no idea where I would be getting the vacuum from.

I'll post pics later today.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the info on the counter-rotation jbuote! The waterpump impeller has 2 types, so thats pretty damn important.
And I'm sure it would have messed me right up when I was looking at spark order and engine rotation.

Faztbullet - When I got it, both thermostats were out and one housing is missing. Really not sure why the guy took them off.
Its possible those are vacuum lines.. That makes a lot of sense by the way the thermostats look. But I have no idea where I would be getting the vacuum from.

I have an 86 motor...but from what I see on the diagram on boats.net for your motor is VERY similar....I'll post a pic of my motor in a bit....they are not vacuum lines.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade

​No problem! Again though... I'm following along to learn, and it LOOKED to me like counter-rotation, but you may want to confirm that somehow.
​Don't just take my word.. In this case I could be wrong.. .lol

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 86 motor...but from what I see on the diagram on ********** for your motor is VERY similar....I'll post a pic of my motor in a bit....they are not vacuum lines.

So, on the little three way valve thing under the throttle linkage, one line goes to the starboard thermostat cover, one goes to the pee-hole, and where does the third one go?

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well then, the next question jboute, is which way does a "standard" one spin?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know all the details about counter-rotation engines.

its a e200cxebi 2 stroke.

The "C" after the 200 is what made me think it might be counter-rotation.

​I know mine is standard rotation. The flywheel spins clockwise (looking down on it) and the prop would spin clockwise to propel my boat forward. Prop counter clockwise would be reverse.

​For counter-rotation, I've read sometimes it's just the gearbox (Lower Unit) that's reversed, and the flywheel still spins clockwise. Other engines would have the engine (flywheel) rotating counter-clockwise...

​Other than that, I wouldn't know how else to tell the difference.
Can anybody else shed some light on this for OP?

Sorry can't be more helpful than that on this..

Last edited:

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
So, on the little three way valve thing under the throttle linkage, one line goes to the starboard thermostat cover, one goes to the pee-hole, and where does the third one go?
look at the last two photos

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Actually, I've researched more on decoding the model number.
​What you posted Doesn't match up, unless there was a typo...
IF instead of "E200CXEBI​" as you first posted, it's really "E200CXEIB", (the "B" and the "I" were swapped) then it would make sense...

​E = Evinrude
200 = hp rating
​C = counter rotation
X = 25" (X-Long) shaft length
E = 9 (First digit of model year)
​I = 1 (Second digit of model year)
B = Model run (or suffix)..

​Given this, IF the model numbers match up, You DO have a counter rotation engine.
​So when getting parts, make sure they are for counter-rotation model.
​I've seen some parts listed as "For CX or TX Models only" type of thing...

​This is SOLELY based off of the model number you provided, and a little research to try to be sure I got something right.. LOL

​Hope it helps.... Even if just a little...

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
re-did the images....added a color for each hose.....red is the one goes from port side top down to TEE near tell tale...
Yellow is the smaller hose that goes from the gizmoe behind the linkage down under the starboard block to a bung if I recall....I'll take a photo tomorrow.
DSC04845.JPG
DSC04850.JPG DSC04846.JPG DSC04851.JPG DSC04848.JPG DSC04852.JPG DSC04847.JPG

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, mine is a bit different than yours. hopefully the manual clears a bunch up when the library gets it in.

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Is that the telltale?
The big hose coming out of it has a spring and some yellow plastic bit in it. I'm guessing a check valve.
No idea where it goes either.

Attachments

• photo266083.jpg
    photo266083.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266084.jpg
    photo266084.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 0

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
hmm yeah a little different...no clue on the large hose...

image_266084_annotated.jpg