80's 15hp Evinrude cooling E15RCTA

CobisCaller

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering about the process to troubleshoot the cooling system on this motor. There is barely a trickle of water coming from the pee hole on the motor. I replaced the water impeller last season with the same issue and it improved some, but still didn't seem as strong as I remembered in the past.
What other parts/seals could be restricting the water or leaking?
I did blow air back throught the pee hole and it doesn't seem plugged there.
Thanks for any info
Josh

CobisCaller

Seaman Apprentice
I don't think so. I ran it for maybe 2 hours total last year. I was wanting to look onto the problem a little more this season so I check the flow the first time I started it this year and it was just a dribble so I opened it up and cheked the impeller and that's as far as I've gotten.
Thanks

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could it be the upper grommet for the copper water line is collapsed?I have read that has happened and blocked water flow.May have to pull head and thermostat to look at those areas also.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I would do a couple of things before pulling the powerhead. Manually pump some water up through the water tube and see if you can clear a blockage. And get a length of mono from a weedwhacker and push it into the tell tale as far as you can. Check the grommet at the impeller housing and see if that is intact. Operate the lower unit in a tub of water using a drill to turn the driveshaft clockwise. Make sure it's pumping.

If you haven't run it much, I would bet on some kind of blockage (think critters -- wasps and spiders -- for the tell tale.)

Main thing is obviously to insure it's not overheating.

CobisCaller

Seaman Apprentice
If you're telling me that's a possibility I can check it out. I was just kinda looking for advice on the order of things to check for this issue.
If that is the next step after checking the impeller I can head that way.

CobisCaller

Seaman Apprentice
Oops, I didn't see your post Oldboat1 before I replied to the other one.
Excellent. I will start with those things first and then reply back.
As for the rubber grommet thingy that the tube goes through at the impeller housing it does fit really loose. I was wondering if that would cause a problem. Kinda seems like the water could just leak around it since it is right at the outlet of the pump.
Thank again.

CobisCaller

Seaman Apprentice
Fixed! I flushed a bunch of water up the pump outlet tube. It took several blasts but whatever was in there flushed out.
I started it up and now have a much better stream shooting out.
Thanks for the help!

CobisCaller

Seaman Apprentice
Trouble again. Ran the motor on the lake for the first time this weekend. Had good flow for 15 minutes or so, then it started trickling out again. Watched it come to all but a dribble and then then the motor got hot. Had steam coming out of the vents in the cover. I shut it off and splashed some water on the motor and it was sizzling pretty good.
Got back to camp and found the clear tube between the motor and the pee hole piece had plugged.
Blew it out and started it back up in the water. No flow at all. Pulled the lower unit off and found all the wings on the impeller were broke off.
My question is did the plugged pee hole tube cause the impeller to break apart. I obviously need a new pump kit, but just wondering if something else would cause it to break.
Thanks