62 johnson 40 hp HELP

the motor starts and runs great, but after it gets hot, not overheated, but warmed up, and I shut it down, or it dies for some reason......I cant get it started until it cools down??? WHY???

could the hot water choke need adjustment, not sure how it works exactly, or if im heading in the wrong direction all together????

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
gary cooper jr , im not familiar with a 62 model or a hot water choke but it sounds to me like a coil getting hot. hope this helps have a good day:joyous:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Those would be my first two guesses. The choke is the easy one to diagnose. Just flip it to the manual "choke off" position.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'd verify the lack of spark first thing when it is not starting. If that is what is happening, the coil or even the condenser(s) under the flywheel could be suspect. If they have never been changed recently, I would change them anyway, along with the points. This is if this engine is using points and condensers for the ignition system.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Hm.m.m.-? 1962? Bad (cracked) coils are extremely common in motors from that era. In fact, you can almost bet on it, unless they have already been replaced. And don't count on a "has spark" as being a reliable diagnosis. Failure to start when warm is one of the first signs.

Attachments

• photo237493.jpg
    photo237493.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0