1976 evinrude 85hp need help

v3nom

Recruit
I just got a 1976 evinrude 85 hp it's set for about 5 years was checking everything on it pulled the head cover off were water goes threw the head and on the cover was was like white and Pink sand or something build up all over it. is this normal I'm new to boats don't really know a lot about them

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Sand-like material can be salt corrosion. Alternatively, can be leavings from mud dauber nests.

And could be stuff sucked up in muddy or sandy water, of course. Whatever it is, would want to flush out the passages. Start with the water pump (any sand there can make short work of an impeller), then do some manual flushing by pushing fresh water up the water tubes (lower unit off, motor not running). Can also do this in top down fashion if the head covers are off (maybe with t.stat open).

v3nom

Recruit
thanks I flushed it all everything seems to be clean.what about the fuel pump I see some have 2 fuel lines and mine has 3 lines what's the difference in them mine didn't have a fuel pump on it when I got it. how can I tell witch line goes were

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Some fuel pumps have two hoses, fuel in and fuel out. Some have a third hose to provide crankcase pulses to the pump. The two-hose type gets its pulses directly from the crankcase. Which type you need depends on how it was designed (look it up in the parts book)